Unusual observations any sensible answers?

• Thread starter Caniche
  • Start date
In summary, Copper compounds are blue/green in general, so the color is not that surprising. The color developed after the pump was in contact with water for a few weeks. There is no evidence that the color is caused by new kinds of algae or bacteria.
Caniche
Any ideas what process/material could be responsible for a uniform blue/violet film deposited on the copper components of a domestic pond pump. (never occurred before, no new ;fauna/flora: food :treatments introduced ,rainwater fed )Just wondering what could have changed and how ,any thoughts much appreciated .

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Copper compounds are blue/green in general, so the color is not that surprising (although if it is in a pond I would expect something closer to green).

How long did it take for a color to develop? And how long was the pump in contact with water?

Not that I have any ideas, I am just poking with questions.

Cheers Borek. Not the colour of any copper compound I've ever come across ,indeed strikingly different hence the question.
The pump has been operating for 9 years and requires regular cleaning to remove organic debris from impeller blades. Roughly two weeks from the last clean prompted as usual by around two days of reduced flow so some heat build up but neither significant or unusual.
Water level has dropped in the last two weeks by around 5% due to drought but again this is not an irregular event.Any thoughts?

No idea.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps new kinds of algae/bacteria can be transported into the pool by whatever means (birds, dust, whatever), I seem to recall similar case that I read about few years ago. Even then it would be rather surprising to see them on the copper.

Have you touched it? Is it slimy, or does it feel like just a coloration of the copper itself?

Borek said:
No idea.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps new kinds of algae/bacteria can be transported into the pool by whatever means (birds, dust, whatever), I seem to recall similar case that I read about few years ago. Even then it would be rather surprising to see them on the copper.

Have you touched it? Is it slimy, or does it feel like just a coloration of the copper itself?

Everything in the pond is a tad slimy :smile:But just a deposit ,easily rubbed off with a thumb.
Considered the bird foot introduction possibility ,but no physical evidence of new mollusc population.

1. What are some examples of unusual observations?

Unusual observations can include anything that is not considered a typical or common occurrence. This can range from strange animal behaviors, abnormal weather patterns, or unexplained phenomena.

2. How can unusual observations be explained?

Unusual observations can be explained through the scientific method. This involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to come to a logical conclusion.

3. Are unusual observations important in the scientific community?

Yes, unusual observations can be very important in the scientific community as they can lead to new discoveries and advancements in knowledge. They can also challenge existing theories and prompt further research.

4. Can unusual observations be caused by human error?

Yes, human error can sometimes be a factor in unusual observations. This is why it is important for scientists to conduct experiments carefully and control for any potential sources of error.

5. How can we differentiate between an unusual observation and a hoax?

Differentiating between an unusual observation and a hoax can be difficult. It is important to approach any unusual observation with a critical and scientific mindset, gathering evidence and data to support or refute its validity. Collaborating with other scientists and conducting further research can also help in determining the truth behind an unusual observation.