How Can I Manipulate Numbers in Excel's General Number Format?

In summary, the conversation discusses manipulating numbers in a specific format and suggests using certain formulas and functions to achieve this. The participants also mention buying beer for the person who provides a solution and talk about voting on a physics forum.
Jobrag
I have an csv file that has a column of numbers in the form ab:cd:ef:ghy The cell's number format is general, I want to be able (if other criteria are met) to change y into y+1. The final column must again have the form ab:cd:ef:ghy and the number format general, can anyone out there give me an idea how to manipulate numbers in this format.

Computer science news on Phys.org
What about "=MID(A1,12,1)"?
This picks out "y",
Then you can add one, perhaps after using "=N(value)".
Finally you can concatenate everything with "=LEFT(A1,11)&C1".

I like Serena
Spot on, thank you, you have just out geeked our office resident geek who will now have to buy much beer, thanks again.

I have already geeked out my own office resident geeks.
I'm only glad that other people are willing to buy my beer! :smile:

Say, did you already vote?
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213

It is possible to manipulate numbers in this format using the Excel General number format. One approach would be to use the SUBSTITUTE function to replace the last digit (y) with a new value (y+1). This can be done by first converting the numbers in the column to text using the TEXT function, then using the SUBSTITUTE function to replace the last character with the new value. Finally, the numbers can be converted back to the original format using the TEXT function again. This process can be automated using a combination of formulas and conditional formatting. Alternatively, a macro can be written to perform this task.

1. What is the "General" number format in Excel?

The "General" number format in Excel is a default format that is applied to cells that do not have any other specific number format applied. It displays numbers in the normal decimal format with commas for thousands separators and two decimal places for whole numbers.

2. How do I change the number format to "General" in Excel?

To change the number format to "General" in Excel, select the cells you want to apply the format to and then click on the "General" format option in the Number group on the Home tab. You can also press Ctrl + Shift + ~ on your keyboard to apply the "General" format to the selected cells.

3. Can I customize the "General" number format in Excel?

No, the "General" number format in Excel cannot be customized. It is a default format that cannot be modified. However, you can use other number formats such as "Number" or "Currency" and customize them according to your needs.

4. How does the "General" number format handle different data types in Excel?

The "General" number format in Excel is a combination of number and text formats. It displays numbers as they are entered, but it also allows for text to be entered without any formatting. This means that numbers will be aligned to the right in cells, while text will be aligned to the left.

5. Can I change the default number format in Excel to "General"?

No, you cannot change the default number format in Excel to "General". The default number format is set by the program and cannot be modified. However, you can change the default number format to another format, such as "Number" or "Currency", if you prefer.