Motion in circles mechanical engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electromagnets to stop a rotating disc with a bearing and a shaft. The disc is rotating in simple harmonic motion at a speed of 2.43 rpm and has a dynamic force of 14400N. The individual is seeking information on where to obtain electromagnets with a maximum stopping force of 14400N and what calculations are needed to determine magnetic field resistance. They also inquire about the specific type of motion the disc is exhibiting and the materials used for the parts. Additionally, they question whether the magnets can be connected together to provide additional stopping force.
study12
first time guys.
i have a disc with a bearing and a shaft through it. the disc is rotating in simple harmonic motion with a dynamic force of 14400N and speed of 2.43 rpm. i need to use electromagnets to stop this disc from rotating.
questions.
-where or can can i get electromagnets to stop 14400N . the max i have found is just 1000N
- what calculations do i need to consider in calculating magnetic field resistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean when you say that the disk is rotating with SHM? Is it rotating, or is it translating side to side? Is the 14400 N an oscillating force, or is it steady?Can you provide a sketch of the situation? This would probably help a lot. Please specify the materials for the parts also.

what is providing that 14400 N of force (I'm assuming that is centripetal force?)
If you stop that source, the disk will eventually stop due to friction with the bearings, and the air.
Applying an extra 1000 N of force will assist with that deceleration.
can you chain the magnets together? have one magnet on one side, and another magnet on the other side?

1. What is the definition of "motion in circles" in mechanical engineering?

"Motion in circles" refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant but its direction constantly changes.

2. What are some real-world applications of motion in circles in mechanical engineering?

Motion in circles is commonly used in mechanisms such as gears, pulleys, and turbines. It is also essential in the design of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, as well as in the operation of amusement park rides.

3. What is the relationship between circular motion and centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity. In order to maintain circular motion, there must always be a centripetal force acting on the object.

4. How does angular velocity differ from linear velocity in circular motion?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis, while linear velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. In circular motion, the angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the formula v = rω, where v is linear velocity, r is the radius of the circle, and ω is the angular velocity.

5. What factors affect the stability of an object in circular motion?

The stability of an object in circular motion is affected by its mass, speed, and the radius of the circular path. A larger mass or higher speed will make the object less stable, while a larger radius will make it more stable. In addition, the smoothness of the circular path and any external forces acting on the object can also affect its stability.