Register to reply

Linear control ODE - exponential convergence?

Share this thread:
haluza
Jul3-12, 07:27 PM
P: 1
Hello,

I'm having hard times with the following simple linear ODE coming from a control problem:
$$u(t)' \leq \alpha(t) - u(t)\,,\quad u(0) = u_0 > 0$$
with a given smooth α(t) satisfying
$$0 \leq \alpha(t) \leq u(t) \quad\mbox{for all } t\geq 0.$$
My intuition is that $$\lim_{t\to\infty} u(t) - \alpha(t) = 0,$$
and that the convergence is exponential, i.e., $$|u(t) - \alpha(t)| = u(t) - \alpha(t) \leq c_1 e^{-c_2 t}.$$
For instance, if α was a constant, then the exponential convergence clearly holds (just solve the related ODE and use a "maximum principle").
Do you see a simple proof for time-dependent α (could not prove neither of the "statements" - probably I'm missing something very elementary); or is my intuition wrong?

Many thanks, Peter
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
haruspex
Jul5-12, 12:17 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,656
For a u(t) to exist satisfying those constraints puts constraints on α(t). Not exactly that it is monotonic non-increasing, but something approaching that. Do you know of such a constraint (beyond that implied)?
nvir477
Jul5-12, 12:36 AM
P: 2
For the fundamental solution set S={ex,e2x,e3x} can we construct a linear ODE with constant coefficients?

I have verified that the solution set is linearly independent via wronskian. I have got the annihilators as (D-1),(D-2),(D-3). However after that I'm not sure how to proceed. What do I do to get the ODE?

Thanks

haruspex
Jul5-12, 03:36 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,656
Linear control ODE - exponential convergence?

Consider α(t) as follows:
In the nth period of time B, α(t) = A > 0, except for the last e-n, where it is 0. If u'(t) = α(t) - u(t) and vn = u(Bn) - A,
vn+1 = vne-B - A(1-e-e-n)
> vne-B - Ae-n
So vn > wn where
wn+1 = wne-B - Ae-n
which I believe gives:
wn = Ce-Bn - Ae-n/(e-1-e-B)
wn tends to 0 as n goes to infinity, not going negative. Hence u(t) converges to A, and the difference between u and α exceeds A on occasions beyond any specified t.

Register to reply