What Are Quantum Numbers and How Are They Calculated?

In summary: I understand that quantum numbers represent the different modes of vibration for a particle, such as pulsing or squeezing. The symbols like p2, k4, f3 are just used to represent these different modes.
dbmorpher
I have read many sources about quantum numbers and I know they have to do with the spin or types of particles in a hadron or boson, but I do not understand how spin could calculated or what it means. There was also something that had symbols that were like, p2, k4, f3...
I just don't understand this and wikipedia isn't helping
Would love to learn more,
dbmorpher

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dbmorpher! :smile:

quantum spin doesn't really have an exact analogue to classical spin

however, i personally like to think of the quantum numbers as being like the possible vibrations of a sphere (like the sun) …

it can pulse in and out spherically

or it can squeeze in and out like a concertina

or …​

each possible mode of vibration corresponds to a spherical harmonic which in turn corresponds to quantum numbers

so i personally think of different but related particles as being the same particle vibrating in different ways o:)
dbmorpher said:
There was also something that had symbols that were like, p2, k4, f3...

those letters and numbers are just there to confuse you :biggrin:

here's a pretty diagram from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_harmonics
300px-Harmoniki.png

(and for what it's worth, here's an unhelpfully detailed description of mine … https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4002275&postcount=5)

Okay thank you

What are Quantum Numbers?

Quantum numbers are a set of numbers used to describe the properties of an electron in an atom or molecule. They help us understand the position, energy, and spin of electrons within an atom.

What are the four types of Quantum Numbers?

The four types of quantum numbers are the principal quantum number, the angular momentum quantum number, the magnetic quantum number, and the spin quantum number. Each of these numbers represents a specific property of an electron.

How are Quantum Numbers determined?

Quantum numbers are determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of quantum particles like electrons. The solutions to this equation give us the values of the quantum numbers.

What is the significance of Quantum Numbers?

Quantum numbers are significant because they help us understand the arrangement of electrons in an atom and how they interact with each other. They also provide information about the energy levels of electrons and their behavior in chemical reactions.

Can Quantum Numbers change?

Yes, quantum numbers can change. For example, when an electron absorbs or emits energy, its energy level and therefore its quantum numbers can change. Also, when an atom is in a different environment or chemical bond, the quantum numbers of its electrons can change.