Register to reply

How is saturation pressure different than vapor pressure?

by pa5tabear
Tags: pressure, saturation, vapor
Share this thread:
pa5tabear
May13-13, 06:00 PM
P: 176
I think I understand, but I want to make sure.

The vapor pressure of a substance is the pressure of the substance evaporating/sublimating at a given temperature and can be calculated using the Antoine Equation. This must be measured at the interface of the substance and atmosphere, or if the system is at equilibrium, it could be measured anywhere in the system.

The saturation pressure assumes that the substance has fully vaporized to its equilibrium point. It could be measured at any gaseous part of the system.

They are almost the same, right? The difference is just whether the system is at equilibrium?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Marine pest provides advances in maritime anti-fouling and biomedicine
Nature inspires a greener way to make colorful plastics
New catalyst converts carbon dioxide to fuel
Borek
May14-13, 02:48 AM
Admin
P: 23,396
If I understand your question correctly - yes. We just assume pressure has its maximum possible value at the interface, no matter what is going on in other parts of the system. This is equivalent of assuming there is an equilibrium on the surface.

Register to reply