How could nothing is finite yet unbounded?

• Thread starter Mohd Abdullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary: The surface is 2-dimensional, which is how come you can uniquely specify a location on the Earth with only two numbers, latitude and longitude. You can embed a sphere in 3d space and use it to describe the surface of a collection of atoms and describe locations with (x,y,z) co-ordinates plus the constraint that ##x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2##...
Mohd Abdullah
Hey guys. It's been awhile I don't posting in this thread.

How could space which is nothing, is finite yet unbounded? Aren't beyond the so-called finite yet unbounded universe is just nothing that we called as space?

Physics news on Phys.org
The surface of a sphere is finite but unbounded.

Given the radius you can determine the surface area of the sphere (finite).

You can traverse it any way you want and you won't find a boundary (unbounded).

jedishrfu said:
The surface of a sphere is finite but unbounded.

Given the radius you can determine the surface area of the sphere (finite).

You can traverse it any way you want and you won't find a boundary (unbounded).

The boundaries are between the surface and the interior on the one hand, and between the surface and its exterior surroundings on the other.

Likes Mohd Abdullah
klimatos said:
The boundaries are between the surface and the interior on the one hand, and between the surface and its exterior surroundings on the other.

Thats if you consider it as a 3D object. I'm using the exterior surface of the sphere only.

An illustration of that is our choice of starting longitude coordinate: it is completely arbitrary because there is no boundary to constrain your motion along the surface of the earth.

But space is not an object with shape and location. How could we say space is finite but yet unbounded? In my opinion, space is of course non-finite but it is also non-infinite because space which is nothing, can't be said as finite or infinite because these terms imply size. Only objects have size.

Mohd Abdullah said:
But space is not an object with shape and location. How could we say space is finite but yet unbounded? In my opinion, space is of course non-finite but it is also non-infinite because space which is nothing, can't be said as finite or infinite because these terms imply size. Only objects have size.

You can extend the sphere concept into the hypersphere where its surface is like 3D space. In this space you can travel in any direction and come back to where you started but never hit a boundary.

If our universe was like this then light leaving the Earth would eventually come back to Earth once more if nothing deflected or absorbed it on the journey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersphere

Look up Mobius Strip and Klein Bottle. They, also, are hard to get your head round.

Mohd Abdullah said:

How could space which is nothing, is finite yet unbounded? Aren't beyond the so-called finite yet unbounded universe is just nothing that we called as space?

Assuming you mean "the vacuum of outer space," space is far from nothing.
All sections of space have a temperature, significant photon flux, etc.

Mohd Abdullah said:

Perhaps you could help us to answer your question by telling us more.
"How could space,* which is nothing, be* finite and* unbounded"
First of all, where did you hear this quote? It looks to me like you have seen/heard/viewed two or three different theories and asked how they can all be correct.

Secondly, nobody has been to the edge of space (as far as I know,lol) nor has anyone shot a beam of light in one direction and the beam return in the opposite. Because of this, nobody can provide a straightforward answer. We can however, provide theories explaining some things. Everytime I post a theorie (not of my own) I get an email that bans me from the forums. I will have to leave the theories explaining your question to others (the moderators).

What stumps me on this question is, if there is an edge to the universe, what's past the edge?
Nothing? Then space (referring to space as a place with nothing occupying the space) is kinda nothing, so why would there be a finite space? This is beyond most of us. There is no real fact to answer this question.

Good luck on finding a straight answer

Likes Mohd Abdullah
jedishrfu said:
Thats if you consider it as a 3D object. I'm using the exterior surface of the sphere only.

A real sphere is a three-dimensional object. The surface of a sphere also occupies three dimensions. You cannot avoid this characteristic simply by refusing to admit it.

Likes Mohd Abdullah
klimatos said:
A real sphere is a three-dimensional object. The surface of a sphere also occupies three dimensions. You cannot avoid this characteristic simply by refusing to admit it.

The surface is 2-dimensional, which is how come you can uniquely specify a location on the Earth with only two numbers, latitude and longitude. You can embed a sphere in 3d space and use it to describe the surface of a collection of atoms and describe locations with (x,y,z) co-ordinates plus the constraint that ##x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2## if you wish. But it's important to realize that you've added something over and above the curved 2d structure that jedishrfu is talking about.

klimatos said:
The surface certainly occupies 2 dimensions, not three.

Only object can have dimensions, nothingness that we called "space" can't have any dimensions. Infinite is an adjective so it only applies to object and we know, that no object can be infinite because object have shape. Thus, space is not finite or infinite and nothingness can't be finite or infinite because nothing is nothing. Btw, this is just my opinion.

MightyKaykoher said:
Perhaps you could help us to answer your question by telling us more.
"How could space,* which is nothing, be* finite and* unbounded"
First of all, where did you hear this quote? It looks to me like you have seen/heard/viewed two or three different theories and asked how they can all be correct.

Secondly, nobody has been to the edge of space (as far as I know,lol) nor has anyone shot a beam of light in one direction and the beam return in the opposite. Because of this, nobody can provide a straightforward answer. We can however, provide theories explaining some things. Everytime I post a theorie (not of my own) I get an email that bans me from the forums. I will have to leave the theories explaining your question to others (the moderators).

What stumps me on this question is, if there is an edge to the universe, what's past the edge?
Nothing? Then space (referring to space as a place with nothing occupying the space) is kinda nothing, so why would there be a finite space? This is beyond most of us. There is no real fact to answer this question.

Good luck on finding a straight answer

I think I agree with your statement. Only object can have dimension, while space, as we know is nothing because it is shapeless and dimensionless. I am confused, why most people still saying that it is possible that space is finite but yet unbounded.:confused:

Mohd Abdullah said:
Only object can have dimensions, nothingness that we called "space" can't have any dimensions. Infinite is an adjective so it only applies to object and we know, that no object can be infinite because object have shape. Thus, space is not finite or infinite and nothingness can't be finite or infinite because nothing is nothing. Btw, this is just my opinion.

So in other words, considering that you don't have a good grasp on topology, you are going to contradict the prevailing view of cosmologist based on just your "opinion"?

Several people have provided elementary topological examples on how something can be finite and yet unbounded. I am not sure how you are able to ignore those and continue to hold your opinion, especially when it is not based on any solid mathematical framework.

We welcome questions when you don't understand something, which was fine at the start of this thread. However, you now seem to be entrenched in your opinion despite responses to the contrary. Producing an idea based simply on your "opinion" and without any solid justification is considered to be a speculative post, which is prohibited by the forum rules that you had agreed to. Therefore, this thread is done.

Zz.

1. How can something be finite yet unbounded?

This concept may seem contradictory, but it is possible to have something that is finite, meaning it has a definite or limited quantity, but still have no boundaries or limitations. This is often seen in mathematical or scientific theories, where the concept of infinity is used to describe something that has no end but still has a measurable or limited quantity.

2. What does it mean for nothing to be finite yet unbounded?

In this context, "nothing" does not refer to the absence of something, but rather to the concept of infinity or boundlessness. So, when we say that nothing is finite yet unbounded, we are essentially saying that infinity or boundlessness has a measurable or limited quantity.

3. How does this concept relate to the idea of the universe being infinite?

The idea of the universe being infinite is a similar concept to "nothing" being finite yet unbounded. It suggests that the universe has no boundaries or limitations, but it still has a measurable or limited quantity. This concept is often explored in cosmology and physics.

4. Is there evidence or proof for "nothing" being finite yet unbounded?

While this concept is often explored and discussed in scientific theories, there is currently no concrete evidence or proof for it. It is a theoretical concept that is still being explored and debated among scientists and philosophers.

5. How does this concept impact our understanding of the universe and reality?

This concept challenges our perception of the universe and reality, as it suggests that infinity and boundlessness may be fundamental aspects of our existence. It also raises questions about the nature of time and space, and how they may be infinite or unbounded in some way.