Efficiency of the Stirling Cycle: Examining the Debate

In summary, a discussion was had about the efficiency of the Stirling cycle, with a calculation given and a link to further information. It was mentioned that a teacher had a different viewpoint, considering the practical workings of a Stirling engine, and derived a different formula for efficiency. The topic of using a heat storage device in the cycle was brought up, leading to a debate on whether the heat flow to the gas or the overall system should be considered in calculating efficiency. The book "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" was also referenced for its derivation of the efficiency formula.
Vegeta
I've calculated the efficiency of the Stirling cycle like

[tex]\eta=\frac{R(T_H-T_L)\ln\left(V_2/V_1\right)}{RT_H\ln\left(V_2/V_1\right)+C_{mV}(T_H-T_L)}[/tex]

Where [itex]V_2>1[/itex]. It's also derived http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~broholm/l39/node5.html" .
But my ("Highschool", or secondary school) teacher says that it can't be expressed that way, and is therefore wrong. Because she is considering how the Stirling engine works in practice. She says that because the heat that flows OUT of the system, from the isochoric proces, can be "stored" in some sort of heat storage device (the last animation here, called http://science.howstuffworks.com/stirling-engine.htm/printable" ), then you don't need to take the positive heat flow TO the system, into account, when calculating the efficiency. Because that energy is stored, and doesn't need to be heated from the fuel. By this way, the efficiency of the stirling cycle becomes [itex]\eta=1-T_C/T_H[/itex], i.e. the efficiency for the Carnot cycle.
But isn't it incorrect to consider the gas AND the "storage device" as one system, because there still is a heat flow (positive and negative) to the gas. Isn't it the heat flow to GAS that matters, when calculating the efficiency?!
And they've also derived that (the one above) formula for the efficiency of a stirling engine, in "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" By Fishbane, Gasiorowicz and Thornton, extended version.

But what is correct? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Vegeta said:
IShe says that because the heat that flows OUT of the system, from the isochoric proces, can be "stored" in some sort of heat storage device...

I looked up "isochoric" and got:

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

Suggestions for isochoric:

1. isocaloric
2. isochron
3. ascorbic
4. isogonic
5. ozokerite
6. ossicular
7. Iscariot
8. Ysyk-Kol
9. ozokerites
10. ozocerite

Looking at your link, I see that the person who wrote it is working toward analyzing the stirling as a refridgeration device. In this configuration the engine is operated by an outside motor or engine to increase the temperature difference between the hot and cold end, and the cold end is then used to cool something. In this configuration the stirling engine is a heat pump and not really a stirling engine anymore. I think this is very likely the source of the confusion between you and your teacher.

"isochor" = constant volume. It wasn't even in our undergrad textbook, our professor mentioned it in passing.

rachmaninoff said:
"isochor" = constant volume. It wasn't even in our undergrad textbook, our professor mentioned it in passing.
Thanks, rachmaninoff. I was pretty much baffled. Webster's usually has even obscure words.

Yes, I thought the whole point of dicitionaries was, obscure words.

1. What is the Stirling Cycle and why is it important to examine its efficiency?

The Stirling Cycle is a thermodynamic process that involves the compression and expansion of a gas at different temperatures to produce mechanical work. It is important to examine its efficiency because it has the potential to be a more environmentally friendly and efficient alternative to traditional heat engines.

2. What are the main factors that affect the efficiency of the Stirling Cycle?

The main factors that affect the efficiency of the Stirling Cycle are the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of working gas used, and the design and materials of the engine components.

3. What is the current debate surrounding the efficiency of the Stirling Cycle?

The current debate surrounding the efficiency of the Stirling Cycle is whether it is a viable and practical technology for widespread use. Some argue that it has the potential to be highly efficient, while others believe that it is not as efficient as other power generation methods and has limited practical applications.

4. What are some potential advantages of using the Stirling Cycle for power generation?

Some potential advantages of using the Stirling Cycle for power generation include its ability to use a variety of heat sources, such as solar, geothermal, or waste heat, its low emissions and noise levels, and its potential for high efficiency and reliability.

5. What are the current challenges faced in improving the efficiency of the Stirling Cycle?

Some current challenges in improving the efficiency of the Stirling Cycle include finding suitable materials for high temperature operation, reducing heat losses within the engine, and optimizing the design and configuration of the engine components. Additionally, there is ongoing research to find new working gases and improve heat transfer processes to further enhance the cycle's efficiency.