History of relativity and laws of motion

In summary, the conversation is about a person searching for a book that delves deeply into the history of physics, specifically the development of the principle of relativity and laws of motion from Galileo to Einstein. They mention three books that may be useful, with one being expensive and the other two less well-known. The person asking for the book is interested in the conceptual alternatives and struggles that were present throughout the development of these theories. They also mention another book on Maxwell's Conundrum that they found interesting. The conversation then shifts to discussing the level and depth of the book, with the person asking for a short statement about it. They mention that it is a history book and not a math book. Another person recommends Einstein's Biography by
hellfire
Science Advisor
I am searching for a book that describes with depth the history of physics from Galileo, Newton, etc. to Einstein, especially the formulation of the principle of relativity and the laws of motion. Most of the treatments of the subject I am aware of (mainly internet sites), do not point out the great conceptual difficulties that for example people like Galileo had to be overcome regarding inertia, isotropy and homogeneity of space, synchronization, circular motion, etc. and usually describe them as rather obvious conclusions from our modern perspective. I would like to see a discussion of the conceptual alternatives that were present at every stage of the formulation of the theories (e.g. anisotropic inertia, ether) and a extensive description of the problems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
These may be useful:

A history of the theories of aether and electricity.
by E T Whittaker

Relativistic kinematics.
by Henri Arzeliès

Relativistic point dynamics
by Henri Arzeliès

Thank you for your answer. The first one seams to be the book I am looking for. However, it is expensive (actually both volumes together seam to be very expensive...). For the other two there are less references and comments on internet, or at least on amazon (the first seams to be out of print). Do you have them? Would you recommend especially one of them or both?

Last edited:
They are available in my university library.
Google each title. Add "site:worldcatlibraries.org" to the search field.
One may be able to obtain them by interlibrary-loan.

The books by Arzeliès have a lot of obscure references on relativity, including alternate approaches, formulations, and notations. They have detailed discussions of various concepts and paradoxes, including some discussion of the struggles to understand some of them.

I haven't really looked into the Whittaker book yet... but I plan to.

As someone who is looking for new ways to teach relativity, I have found many gems in the Arzeliès books. I would strongly recommend them to anyone who wants to see aspects of relativity from many points of view.

Maxwell's Conundrum: A Serious but Not Ponderous Book About Relativity
by Author: Walter Scheider

Here is a book I found very interesting.

Thanks, I saw the book in amazon. The contents are not available. Could you please give me a short statement about the level and depth?

it is a history book, not a math book. Does that help?

While I haven't read it yet, have you looked at Einstein's Biography by Pais?

What I am interested in is the history of ideas related to relativity, especially how it was developed our understanding of intertial reference frames and their relation to inertia as the basic element for the definition of the notions of space and time. The book must not contain math, but it must describe this in detail; for example, which are the drawbacks of possible theories with anisotropic inertia and in which extent are they equivalent to the current ones? why and when have they been discarded? what ether theories were considered as meaningful until which experiment or conceptual step?, etc.

I have the book "A history of mechanics" by Rene Degas. It's usually considered to be very good as far as the early history of mechanics is concerned, but I have no idea how well it treats relativity. It does have a very good treatment of the 19th century discussions on relativity, causality and the foundations of Newtonian mechanics (Poincare, Hertz, Duhem), so this might be what you're looking for.

Plus, it's a Dover paperback, and therefore probably quite cheap.

1. What is the history of the development of the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity was first proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 with his special theory of relativity, which explained the relationship between space and time. In 1915, he expanded on this theory with his general theory of relativity, which described the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space-time.

2. How did the laws of motion contribute to the development of relativity?

The three laws of motion, formulated by Isaac Newton in the 17th century, provided the foundation for Einstein's theory of relativity. Newton's laws of motion described the behavior of objects in motion, and Einstein built upon these principles to develop his theories of special and general relativity.

3. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity in its description of space-time. Special relativity is based on the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, while general relativity introduces the concept of gravity as a curvature of space-time.

4. How has the theory of relativity been proven through experiments?

The theory of relativity has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, including the famous Eddington expedition in 1919 which observed the bending of starlight by the sun's gravity during a solar eclipse. Other experiments, such as the Pound-Rebka experiment and the Hafele-Keating experiment, have also provided evidence for the predictions of relativity.

5. How has the theory of relativity impacted modern physics?

The theory of relativity has had a profound impact on modern physics, leading to a deeper understanding of gravity, space, and time. Its principles have been applied in various fields, including astronomy, cosmology, and particle physics. The theory of relativity has also led to the development of technologies such as GPS and nuclear energy, which rely on its principles for accuracy and precision.