Is it Possible to Show a Group is Abelian with Certain Properties?

• Thread starter StatusX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation involves two problems where the goal is to show that a group with certain properties is abelian. The first problem requires showing that if a group has the property (ab)i = aibi for three consecutive integers i and all elements a,b in the group, then the group must be abelian. The conversation discusses various approaches and eventually uses the property (ba)i = (ab)i-1 to prove that ab = ba. The second problem involves showing that a finite group with order not divisible by 3, where (ab)3 = a3b3 for all elements a,b, must also be abelian. The conversation discusses using an automorphism and unique cube roots to show that a2b = ba2
StatusX
Homework Helper
I have a couple questions involving showing a group with certain properties is abelian.

1. For the first, I'm supposed to show that if some group G has the property that (ab)i=aibi for some three consecutive integers i and all a,b in G, then G must be abelian. Using (aba-1)i=abia-1=aibia-i, I've been able to show that a2b=ba2 for all a,b in G, but I can't get any farther.

2. The second is similar. Given that a finite group G has order not divisible by 3, and for every a,b in G, (ab)3=a3b3, show G is abelian. By defining an automorphism on G by sending a to a3, I've been able to show every element has a unique cube root. Using this, I've shown a2b=ba2, as above. But now I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem 1

Your work doesn't look right. How do you get abia-1 = aibia-i?

Let I = {i-2, i-1, i} be a set of three consecutive integers such that for all a, b in G, and all k in I, (ab)k = akbk

Hints:

1. Starting with (ab)i = aibi, deduce that (ba)i-1 = (ab)i-1

2. Deduce, somehow, that (ba)i-2 = (ab)i-2

Note, for problem 2, you don't need to show that x |-> x³ is an automorphism. Simply show that it is injective (it doesn't even need to be a homomorphism). Then, since G is finite, you know the map is surjective, and this is all you need to show that each element has a unique cube root.

Thanks for the help. (ba)i=b(ab)i-1a. It's so simple, and pops out at you if you write the product out, but I was going a completely different way with the problem and would never have thought of it. Both answers follow easily from it.

And by the way, since conjugation by an element is a homomorphism (in fact, an automorphism), then (aba-1)i=abia-1.

My issue wasn't with (aba-1)i = abia-1, it was with abia-1 = aibia-i. However, I now see where you got that:

(aba-1)i = aibia-i by the special property given to us
(aba-1)i = abia-1 because it's an easy fact for any group

Using a similar idea for problem 2, you get:

a³b³a-³ = ab³a-1
a²b³ = b³a²

so every square commutes with every cube. But since you can prove that every element is a cube (i.e. it has a cube root), you can say that every square commutes with every element. Not sure where to go from here.

Well, using a similar idea as the one you suggested for the first problem, you can show (ab)2=b2a2. Then you can pull a factor of b on the right side to the other side of a2, and its easy from there.

When I first looked at the problem, I did get that (ab)² = b²a². However, I don't see where to go from there. In fact, what do you even mean by:

Then you can pull a factor of b on the right side to the other side of a2, and its easy from there.

Oh wait.

(ab)³ = a³b³
ababab = aaabbb
baba = aabb
(ba)² = a²b²

Now this, in conjunction with the fact that the squares commute with everything, gives

(ba)² = b²a²
baba = bbaa
ab = ba []

Is that what you had in mind?

More or less. I actually specifically meant:

(ab)2=b2a2
abab=b(ba2)=b(a2b)=baab
ab=ba

What does it mean for a group to be abelian?

An abelian group, also known as a commutative group, is a group in which the order of operations does not affect the result. This means that for any two elements in the group, their product or operation will be the same regardless of the order in which they are performed.

What are the properties of an abelian group?

Some common properties of an abelian group include commutativity, associativity, existence of an identity element, and existence of inverses for each element. Additionally, the abelian group must be closed under the group operation.

How can we prove that a group is abelian?

To prove that a group is abelian, we must show that for any two elements in the group, their product or operation is commutative. This can be done by using the group's defining properties and equations, as well as any additional theorems or properties that may apply to the specific group.

What are some examples of abelian groups?

Some examples of abelian groups include the group of integers under addition, the group of real numbers under addition, and the group of complex numbers under addition. Other examples include the group of rational numbers under addition, the group of nonzero real numbers under multiplication, and the group of nonzero complex numbers under multiplication.

Why are abelian groups important in mathematics?

Abelian groups are important in mathematics because they are a fundamental concept in group theory, a branch of abstract algebra. They have many applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in number theory, geometry, and physics. Additionally, abelian groups serve as a basis for understanding more complex groups and structures.