What is the significance of the Compton wavelength for an isolated particle?

In summary, point particles can collide without physical contact due to their wavefunctions overlapping. This concept is used in modern physics to understand interactions between particles. The concept of wavefunctions may be seen as just a mathematical model, but it has allowed for significant advancements and understanding in the field. The Compton wavelength, on the other hand, does not have a physical meaning for an isolated particle in its rest frame, but is a constant used in calculations involving particle collisions.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
How can point particles collide, wouldn't the distance between them be 0 meaning that they're right on top of each other. Or, when we talk about particles colliding do we really mean the superposition of their wave functions? an explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
we really mean the superposition of their wave functions

daniel_i_l said:
How can point particles collide, wouldn't the distance between them be 0 meaning that they're right on top of each other. Or, when we talk about particles colliding do we really mean the superposition of their wave functions? an explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. In many instances, these "point particles" are charge particles, such as electrons. The coulombic forces alone extends beyond the "size" (if there is such a thing) of the particle. So there does not need to be any physical contact for there to be an interaction. Strongly-correlated electron systems in condensed matter deal with this all the time.

2. Even for neutral particles such as neutrinos, at some point, the wavefunction of the particles will start to significantly overlap. When that happens, these particles will sense each other's presence and a whole set of rules starts occurring. This is what we call "interactions".

Zz.

Thanks for the explanation.
One more thing, does modern physics have an explanation of what it means for "wavefunctions" of particles to interact. Aren't WF mathematical models that help us calculate the motion of particles statisticlly but lacking further physical meaning? (sorry for the ignorence, I havn't started learning QM yet). Thanks.

daniel_i_l said:
Thanks for the explanation.
One more thing, does modern physics have an explanation of what it means for "wavefunctions" of particles to interact. Aren't WF mathematical models that help us calculate the motion of particles statisticlly but lacking further physical meaning? (sorry for the ignorence, I havn't started learning QM yet). Thanks.

I am not going to get into this "mathematical model" versus "physical meaning" thing that appears to have no end. I will simply say that the wavefunction has allowed us to make amazing description of the relevant system. The materials that you used in your modern electronics are understood via band theory of matter that makes use of "wavefunction overlap" to describe its behavior.

So you decide for yourself if you consider them just nothing more than "mathematical model". Come to think of it, you may also want to consider if Newton's laws and Maxwell equations are also nothing more than "mathematical models" either.

Zz.

Zapper, does the Compton wave length have any real meaning for an isolated particle in its rest frame? It seems to me that it only comes into play when the particle interacts, i.e. emits or absorbs something.

selfAdjoint said:
Zapper, does the Compton wave length have any real meaning for an isolated particle in its rest frame? It seems to me that it only comes into play when the particle interacts, i.e. emits or absorbs something.

I don't think I've ever associated it with anything physical. It is simply a constant, maybe can be linked to the energy gained by the electron, which is no longer in that rest frame after collision.

Zz.

1. What is a collision of point particles?

A collision of point particles is a physical event in which two particles interact with each other by coming into contact and exchanging energy and momentum. These particles are considered to be point-like, meaning they have no internal structure and are treated as mathematical points in space.

2. What factors determine the outcome of a collision between point particles?

The outcome of a collision between point particles is determined by factors such as the masses of the particles, their velocities, and the angle at which they collide. These factors can be used to calculate the final velocities and directions of the particles after the collision using principles of conservation of energy and momentum.

3. How do collisions between point particles differ from collisions between extended objects?

Unlike collisions between extended objects, collisions between point particles do not involve any deformation or change in shape of the particles. This is because point particles are considered to be infinitely small and have no internal structure to be deformed.

4. Can the collision of point particles be perfectly elastic?

Yes, the collision of point particles can be perfectly elastic, meaning there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision. This occurs when the particles collide at a specific angle and have equal masses and opposite velocities.

5. How are collisions of point particles studied and observed in the real world?

Collisions of point particles can be studied and observed in the real world through experiments using high-speed particle accelerators. These machines can accelerate particles to extremely high velocities and collide them in controlled environments, allowing scientists to observe and analyze the outcomes of these collisions.