Exploring the Feynman-Wheeler Theory

In summary: The photons are not coming from any particular direction, but are "smeared out" so that they are coming from all directions, as far as we can see. In summary, the conversation discusses the Huygens-Fresnel Principle and its relationship to Maxwell's equations. It also mentions the Feynman-Wheeler theory, which was proposed to explain backward propagation of waves but has since been abandoned. The conversation then veers off-topic to discuss the Cosmic Microwave Background and its relation to matter, with a reference to a FAQ and a related question about the name "background".
fargoth
while looking into huygen's principle i found a site that showed its just another way to look at waves in 1\3\5\...odd dimensions.

but i bumped into this:
The Huygens-Fresnel Principle is adequate to account for a wide range of optical phenomena, and it was later shown by Gustav Kirchoff (1824-1887) how this principle can be deduced from Maxwell's equations. Nevertheless (and despite statements to the contrary in the literature), it does not actually resolve the question about "backward" propagation of waves, because Maxwell's equations themselves theoretically allow for advanced as well as retarded potentials. It's customary to simply discount the advanced waves as "unrealistic", and to treat the retarded wave as if it was the unique solution, although there have occasionally been interesting proposals, such as the Feynman-Wheeler theory, that make use of both solutions.
i wanted to know more about this wheeler theory, i tried googling for it, but couldn't find more then 10 lines about it...

anyone knows what this theory is, and where could i find some mathematical info on it?

Physics news on Phys.org
As a first reference, look at
http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/1965/feynman-lecture.html

and maybe
"Interaction with the Absorber as the Mechanism of Radiation"
John Archibald Wheeler and Richard Phillips Feynman
Rev. Mod. Phys. 17, 157–181 (1945)
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/RMP/v17/i2-3/p157_1

If you don't have access [and/or to find other discussion on it], you might try googling the quoted title.

thanks, I am reading it right now... (the nobel lecture)

i'll post some questions later, but i got one with little relevance - what does he mean by this sentance:
As a matter of fact, when we look out anywhere and see light, we can always "see" some matter as the source of the light. We don't just see light
(except recently some radio reception has been found with no apparent material source).

i know its off-topic, i'll ask the on-topic questions after i'll finish reading, but i wanted to know where has radio reception with no apparent material source been found..

but isn't the CMB emmited by matter? isn't it just the black body radiation of the edges of the universe?

anyway, i finished reading the nobel lecture, it was, as expected, fun to read.
I love feynman's lectures.
it seems feynman abandoned the wheeler theory a long time ago, it was just one of his ideas for QED which has been left out.
i think i'll leave the second link for tomorrow though :biggrin:

Last edited:
In the faq I directed you to, there is this question and answer (which addresses your boldfaced section and is why I gave that url)
Why is it called a "Background"?

We refer to this radiation as a background because we see it no matter where we look. It clearly doesn't come from any nearby objects, such as stars or clouds within our Galaxy, or even from external galaxies. It is clearly a distant, "background" source of radiation. You can think of the whole Universe as being filled with this background of microwave photons.

1. What is the Feynman-Wheeler Theory?

The Feynman-Wheeler Theory, also known as the Wheeler-Feynman Absorber Theory, is a theoretical framework that attempts to explain the phenomenon of electromagnetic interactions between particles. It proposes that every electron in the universe is constantly emitting and absorbing virtual photons, which creates a continuous exchange of energy between particles.

2. Who developed the Feynman-Wheeler Theory?

The Feynman-Wheeler Theory was proposed by physicists Richard Feynman and John A. Wheeler in the 1940s. They built upon previous work by Paul Dirac and others to develop this theory of electrodynamics.

3. What are the main principles of the Feynman-Wheeler Theory?

The main principles of the Feynman-Wheeler Theory include the concept of advanced and retarded waves, which describe the time-reversed behavior of electromagnetic waves. It also proposes that electrons are constantly emitting and absorbing virtual photons, and that these interactions can be described mathematically through the use of Feynman diagrams.

4. Has the Feynman-Wheeler Theory been proven?

The Feynman-Wheeler Theory is a theoretical framework that has not been fully proven or disproven. While it has not been experimentally confirmed, it has been used in the development of other theories, such as quantum electrodynamics. It is still an active area of research and debate in the scientific community.

5. How does the Feynman-Wheeler Theory relate to other theories?

The Feynman-Wheeler Theory is closely related to other theories in physics, such as quantum electrodynamics and the theory of relativity. It also has connections to other concepts in physics, such as the wave-particle duality of light and the concept of action at a distance. However, it is still considered a separate and distinct theory in its own right.