How do electrons travel in different mediums?

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Static
In summary: The solar wind moves,I'm not sure if it's straight though.It's not always straight, but the solar wind does have a tendency to flow in a straight line.
Line
We all know Newtons law. An object in motion will stay in motion on straight path unless acted on by another force. Light travels straight,X-rays travel straight,Gamma Rays travels straight but electricity doesn't travel straight.

ELectrons which are relate to the radiowave part of the spectrum I guessdoesn't travel straight in Earth's atmosphere. I don't know if it travels straight space or a vacuum but never have I seen it do it here. What I want to know is why doesn't lightning or static electricity travel straight. Is it cause there are minor electric fields acting on it or because air is an insulator? Cathode rays which are electrons I believe travel straight in our TVs. And the solar wind moves,I'm not sure if it's straight though. Unless we can get charged particles to move straight we have to use Neutrons in our ray guns.

Science news on Phys.org
It is due to differing rates of ionisation, not all the air becomes ionised. Basically, air is a good insulator, the only way a current can flow is if a massive electric field breaks down the air. The strong electric field causes the atoms in the air to become ionised forming a plasma; I would like to emphisise that the net charge remains unchanged. This ionisation creates a large number of electrons which can then flow to earth. However, ionisation may not occur equally in all directions leading to a 'bent' path. In addition the shape of an electric field is determined by the shape of the two charges. If the thunder cloud is parallel to the Earth's surface, then the electric flux lines would be straight down, otherwise the electric flux lines would be curved.

How stuff works - my best friend ; http://science.howstuffworks.com/lightning4.htm

Hope this helps.

~H

Last edited:
Line said:
Cathode rays which are electrons I believe travel straight in our TVs.

Actually, they usually follow a curved path, but this is due to an electric field produced by coils, see wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube

~H

1. Why do objects with different materials create different amounts of static?

Objects with different materials have different levels of conductivity, which determines how easily electrons can move through them. Materials that are good insulators, like rubber, do not allow electrons to move easily, so they tend to build up a larger static charge. Materials that are good conductors, like metal, allow electrons to move freely, so they do not tend to build up as much static charge.

2. Why does static build up when I rub certain materials together?

When you rub two materials together, electrons from one material can be transferred to the other material. This creates an imbalance of negative and positive charges on the two materials, resulting in a static charge. The material that loses electrons becomes positively charged, while the material that gains electrons becomes negatively charged.

3. How does humidity affect static electricity?

Humidity is the amount of moisture in the air. When the air is dry, it does not conduct electricity well, so static electricity is more likely to build up on surfaces. This is because dry air does not allow the excess electrons to dissipate as easily. On the other hand, when the air is humid, it is better at conducting electricity, so static electricity is less likely to build up.

4. Why does static discharge when I touch a metal object?

Metal is a good conductor of electricity. When you touch a metal object, the excess electrons on your body will flow through the metal and into the ground, equalizing the charge. This sudden flow of electrons is what we feel as a static shock.

5. How can I prevent static buildup?

There are several ways to prevent static buildup, including using humidifiers to increase moisture in the air, wearing natural fibers instead of synthetic materials, and using anti-static products such as dryer sheets or sprays. You can also ground yourself by touching a metal object before touching sensitive electronic equipment to prevent static discharge.