Poll: Should Men Be Allowed to Wear Dresses?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary: I definitely notice a difference in listening to music when I'm out with friends as opposed to when I'm home alone. Females seem to have more trouble with following multiple genres of music than males.

Do you have trouble listening the music and lyrics of a song simultaneously?

• I am female and I have little or no trouble doing this.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I am male and I have little or no trouble doing this.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • I am female and I DO have difficulty doing this.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I am male and I DO have difficulty doing this.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Some people think that this is gender-related, so I'm posting the poll with an additional option.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I am male and I DO have difficulty doing this.

I have thought about it before and it seems like I can only focus on one thing at a time.

I can focus on both and am a man, but then I can talk and listen at the same time, I seem to have a nack at multi tasking which I've noticed in other people who are dyslexic, it's a weird thing to be able to do something your gender supposedly finds difficult, people often don't realize the benefits that come with the flaws in a slightly odd brain.

Visualisation apparently is another one, which make dyslexics creative and more able to learn by visualising problems than by seeing them on a page. Which is probably why I'm better at applied maths than pure. The disadvantages are palpable and annoying, such as poor sequential memory, bad spelling and sometimes an inability to learn maths. Suposedly all these can be overcome by retasking your brain, but it's not easy.

I am suprised that people can't listen to lyrics and the music at the same time, I'd never considered that this was difficult? Interesting...

i can focus on every instument active, but i can't fucos on them all, same goes for lyrics and music, i can hear both, but i can't be aware to the small details alltogather.

eh, and about multitasking, when home i can focus on things, that iterest me, but during the day I am a drifter can't focus on half a thing.

DaveC426913 said:
Some people think that this is gender-related, so I'm posting the poll with an additional option.

hehe, so should I have posted as a guy...cause I definitely have more of a male than female gender, even though I'm of the female sex. Semi-serious here.

I have no trouble listening to both the lyrics and the music at the same time. Although I tend to attribute this more to the fact that I've played in band and usually can pick out what each instrument is playing simultaneously.

I have no trouble with this, and played in rock and blues bands for many years, usually as the main vocalist/guitarist. I can "wander" and miss lyrical content, though, if I concentrate on studying the arrangment - something that is critical if you're going to learn new pieces or refine older ones.

I generally do have trouble focusing on more than one thing, but this is an exception. I don't really hear the lyrics and music as separate entities.

My data is lending itself to the following (possibly hasty) conclusions:

1] About one third of people do have some trouble following lyrics and melody at the same time.
2] It is not gender-related.
3] Males outnumber females on PF by approx. 7:1.

DaveC426913 said:
3] Males outnumber females on PF by approx. 7:1.
Or perhaps, the number of males taking this pole outnumber the females by approximately 7:1 :wink:

It depends on the type of music a lot of the time for me. I can listen to country and understand he lyrics almost everytime; however, I tend to have trouble with classic rock (primarily the 80s and "acid" rock).

1. What is the purpose of this poll?

This poll aims to gather opinions on whether or not men should be allowed to wear dresses in society. It is a hot topic that has sparked debates and discussions about gender norms and equality.

2. Why is this topic important?

This topic is important because it challenges traditional gender stereotypes and promotes inclusivity and acceptance of different forms of self-expression. It also raises questions about gender equality and the freedom to choose one's own clothing without judgment or discrimination.

3. How does allowing men to wear dresses affect society?

Allowing men to wear dresses can promote diversity and acceptance in society. It can also break down gender barriers and promote equality, as it allows individuals to express their gender identity freely without fear of judgment or discrimination.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of allowing men to wear dresses?

Some potential drawbacks could include backlash from those who are not accepting of this idea, as well as difficulties in finding appropriate clothing options for men who choose to wear dresses. There may also be challenges in breaking down deeply ingrained gender stereotypes and societal norms.

5. Is there a historical precedent for men wearing dresses?

Yes, there is a long history of men wearing dresses in various cultures and time periods. For example, in ancient Greece, men commonly wore tunics and robes, which can be considered similar to dresses. In some cultures, such as Scotland, men have traditionally worn kilts, which are a type of skirt. Additionally, many traditional and ceremonial garments worn by men in different cultures may resemble dresses. Therefore, the idea of men wearing dresses is not entirely new or unprecedented.