Calculating Work and Spring Stretch in Hooke's Law

In summary, When a 4.00 kg object is hung vertically on a certain light spring that obeys Hooke's law, the spring stretches 2.50 cm. When the object is replaced with one of mass 1.50 kg, the spring stretches 0.938 cm. To stretch the same spring 4.00 cm from its unstretched position, an external agent must do 1.25 J of work. There may be a glitch in the computer program, as these answers appear to be correct.
bearhug
When a 4.00 kg object is hung vertically on a certain light spring that obeys Hooke's law, the spring stretches 2.50 cm. (a)If the object is replaced with one of mass 1.50 kg, how far will the spring stretch?
b) How much work must an external agent do (i.e. a force coming from the 'environment'), to stretch the same spring 4.00 cm from its unstretched position?

For a) I used the equation F= -kx to solve for k.
F=ma so ma=-kx since the object is vertical.
(4.00)(-9.8)= -k(.025m)
k= 1568 N/m

then I plugged it back into solve for x
ma= -kx
(1.5)(-9.8)= -1568x
x= 0.00938 m

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
b) W= 1/2k(xi)^2 - 1/2k(xf)^2
W= 0-1/2(1568)(.04m)^2
= -1.25 J

The homework says this is wrong but I can't figure out what else to do?
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
bearhug said:
When a 4.00 kg object is hung vertically on a certain light spring that obeys Hooke's law, the spring stretches 2.50 cm. (a)If the object is replaced with one of mass 1.50 kg, how far will the spring stretch?
b) How much work must an external agent do (i.e. a force coming from the 'environment'), to stretch the same spring 4.00 cm from its unstretched position?

For a) I used the equation F= -kx to solve for k.
F=ma so ma=-kx since the object is vertical.
(4.00)(-9.8)= -k(.025m)
k= 1568 N/m

then I plugged it back into solve for x
ma= -kx
(1.5)(-9.8)= -1568x
x= 0.00938 m

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
This is correct. Another way to do this is to notice that Hooke's law means a linear relationship between F and x. So when you F is twice as big (in this case, if you make the mass twice as big), the spring is stretched twice as far. In this case, the mass is 1.5/4.0 times as heavy, so x is altered by the same factor:
[tex](1.50)/(4.00)*(2.5 cm)=0.938 cm[/tex]
However, your method gives the value for k, which you need in the next exercise.
b) W= 1/2k(xi)^2 - 1/2k(xf)^2
W= 0-1/2(1568)(.04m)^2
= -1.25 J

The homework says this is wrong but I can't figure out what else to do?
Any help would be appreciated.
The work done should be positive. You can see this by noting that the force you exert in the same direction as the displacement, or noting that by stretching a spring you increase the potential energy.

Thanks for responding. I'm using a computer program for this homework and it's telling me that both answers are wrong. This is after I saw what you wrote. So I'm just double checking to make sure that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. It could be a glitch in the program.

What is Hooke's Law with Spring?

Hooke's Law with Spring is a scientific principle that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance is directly proportional to that distance. This means that the more you stretch or compress a spring, the greater the force needed to do so.

What is the formula for Hooke's Law with Spring?

The formula for Hooke's Law with Spring is F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

What is the significance of Hooke's Law with Spring?

Hooke's Law with Spring is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of springs and other elastic materials. It is also applicable in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science.

How is Hooke's Law with Spring used in real life?

Hooke's Law with Spring is used in various real-life applications, such as in the design of suspension systems for vehicles, measuring and calibrating weights, and in the construction of buildings and bridges to ensure stability and flexibility.

What factors can affect Hooke's Law with Spring?

The accuracy of Hooke's Law with Spring can be affected by factors such as temperature, material properties, and the shape and size of the spring. The spring's behavior may also change over time due to wear and tear or stretching beyond its elastic limit.