Why does the directivity of a loudspeaker change with frequency?

• Thread starter hanson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acoustics
In summary: Kind of. The thing is, the equation only works for a monopole. For a speaker, you have multiple elements radiating sound waves and they all have to have their own individual directivity factors. This is why the directivity of a loudspeaker changes with frequencies. The wavelength of the sound waves is shorter in higher frequencies, so the speaker needs to be more forward-directional to emit sound in those frequencies.
hanson
Hi all!
Can anyone explain me why the directivity of a loudspeaker varies with frequencies?
It is observed that the speaker is omni-directional at low frequencies and becomes increasingly forward-directional towards higher frequencies.
This is to due with the wavelength, but I have no clue on why it is so.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm

This website mention some more observations but it doesn't provide explanaton.

Can anyone help explain me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google on loudspeaker directivity. There are good explanations on-line. Hint: the relation of the wavelength to the type and size of the enclosure is key.

I remember studying monopoles and baffled pistons and calculating the pressure fields due to them in acoustics. Big fun. One thing that I remember is that the pressure distribution is dependent on a value known as "k*a" where k is the wave number and a is some characteristic dimension of the source. The wave number is a function of freqquency and is everywhere in acoustic theory. It's pretty cool to see how a piston's (monopole) pressure field changes with varying values of ka. Take a look here, most notably under section E:

http://www.gmi.edu/~drussell/GMI-Acoustics/Directivity-Frame.html

You'll get a feeling with how the directivity changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice link Fred. The only thing that is lacking there is this expansion of the Bessel function for large x:

[tex]J_1(x)\sim \sqrt\frac{2}{\pi x}cos (x+\pi/4)[/tex]

where [tex]x=kasin\theta[/tex]

Therefore, since [tex]k\sim 1/\lambda[/tex]

-For [tex]a/\lambda<<1[/tex], that is for a baffle emitting with a long wave length compared with its size, the sound has no preferred direction to leading order.

-For [tex]a/\lambda>>1[/tex], the cos in the expansion of the Bessel function gets into the phase of the exponential:

[tex]P\sim F(r,x) e^{i(\omega t-kr+cos(a/\lambda sin \theta+\pi/4))} [/tex]

showing the unidirectional character of the phase. That is, for large baffles compared with the wave length emitted, the sound is propagated with a preferred direction that coincides with the axis as [tex]a/\lambda>>1[/tex]

I really think this makes sense physically speaking.

Thanks turbo, FredGarvin and Clausisus2.
wavelength and size of the enclosure?
With some search, I find the "ka" you guys mentioned.
But they are always expressed in terms of mathematical formulae that I have not yet learned before. I know the consequences of those equations but not the origin and derivation of them.

Could you offer a more physical explanation in plain terms?
Or how would you understand the phenomena without the equations?

Last edited:
Like I mentioned, the k is called the "wave number" and is defined as
[tex]k = \frac{\omega}{c} = \frac{2 \pi}{\lambda}[/tex] where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the frequency, [tex]c[/tex] is the speed of sound in the medium and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the wavelength.

In plain terms this is kind of tough. A lot of times in acoustics, things don't make sense until you go through the math. The only thing I can say is that if you look at the equation that describes the far field intensity of a piston (close to a speaker in mathematical models) you will see the following:

[tex]I (r,\theta) = \frac{\rho_o c k^2 U_{rms}^2 \pi^2 a^2}{4 \pi^2 r^2}\left[ \frac{2 J_1(k a sin(\theta)}{k a sin(\theta)} \right] ^2[/tex]

The second term in brackets is the directivity factor and you can see how k shows up in a lot of places. The a in this case is the piston's diameter. That directivity factor adjusts the pressure field intensity at different angles from the main axis of the piston.

Clear as mud, right?

Last edited:

1. What is acoustics directivity?

Acoustics directivity refers to the directional properties of sound waves, specifically how they propagate and interact with their surroundings. It is the study of how sound waves behave in different environments and how they are affected by factors such as distance, obstacles, and surfaces.

2. How is acoustics directivity measured?

Acoustics directivity is typically measured using a microphone and specialized software or equipment. The microphone is placed at various angles around a sound source, and the resulting sound pressure levels are recorded. This data is then used to create a polar plot, which illustrates the sound's directionality.

3. What factors affect acoustics directivity?

Several factors can affect acoustics directivity, including the shape and size of the sound source, the frequency of the sound, the surrounding environment, and any obstacles or reflective surfaces present. These factors can cause sound waves to be redirected, reflected, or absorbed, altering their directional properties.

4. What are some applications of acoustics directivity?

Acoustics directivity has many applications in various industries, such as architectural acoustics, where it is used to design spaces with optimal sound quality. It is also essential in the design of loudspeakers and microphones, as well as in noise control for buildings and transportation vehicles.

5. How can acoustics directivity be improved?

Acoustics directivity can be improved through proper design and placement of sound sources and receivers. This may include using directional speakers or microphones, strategically positioning them in relation to obstacles and reflective surfaces, and using sound-absorbing materials to reduce unwanted reflections. Computer simulations and modeling can also help optimize acoustics directivity in a given space.