Calculate nth Degree Taylor Polynomial for f(x)=sqrtx | Taylor Polynomial Help

In summary, the conversation is about creating a Taylor polynomial for the function f(x)=sqrtx centered at 4 and using it to approximate sqrt(4.1) with a 5th degree polynomial. The formula for Taylor polynomials is discussed, along with the roles of x and a. There is also a question about finding the general method for creating an nth degree polynomial.
mpgcbball

Homework Statement

I'm trying to make the nth degree taylor polynomial for f(x)=sqrtx centered at 4 and then approximate sqrt(4.1) using the 5th degree polynomial

I know that the polynomials are found using the form:
P(x)= f(x)+f'(x)x+f''(x)x^2/2factorial...f^n(x)x^n/nfactorial

so would P(4) just be:

f(4)+f'(4)x + f''(4)x^2/2factorial + f'''(4)x^3/3factorial...

and then would i just plug in 4.1 for x?

thanks for your help...i would also appreciate any general comments on taylor polynomials as I don't really understand them. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You would plug in .1 for x. You are writing the Taylor expansion of f(4+x).

but is what i wrote for P(x) the nth degree polynomial?
Thanks

What you wrote is a bit garbled. Here's a correction. Notice the different roles of x and a. a is the point you are expanding around and x is the displacement from a.

P(a,x)= f(a)+f'(a)x+f''(a)x^2/2factorial...f^n(a)x^n/nfactorial

is the nth degree approximation to f(a+x).

Last edited:
mpgcbball said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to make the nth degree taylor polynomial for f(x)=sqrtx centered at 4 and then approximate sqrt(4.1) using the 5th degree polynomial

I know that the polynomials are found using the form:
P(x)= f(x)+f'(x)x+f''(x)x^2/2factorial...f^n(x)x^n/nfactorial

so would P(4) just be:

f(4)+f'(4)x + f''(4)x^2/2factorial + f'''(4)x^3/3factorial...
No. The taylor series "centered on 4" is f(4)+ f'(4)(x-4)+ f"(4)/2 (x-4)2+ ...+ f(n)(4)/n! (x- 4)^n
Now let x= 4.1.

and then would i just plug in 4.1 for x?
Or use your polynomial with x= 0.1

thanks for your help...i would also appreciate any general comments on taylor polynomials as I don't really understand them. Thanks!

is there a general method to finding the nth degree polynomial? or is it always just f^n(a)x^n/nfactorial ?? Thanks!

for any function in general...thanks!

1. What is a Taylor Polynomial?

A Taylor Polynomial is a mathematical representation of a function using a finite number of terms from its Taylor series. It is used to approximate a function around a specific point, and the accuracy of the approximation increases as the degree of the polynomial increases.

2. How do you calculate the nth degree Taylor Polynomial for a given function?

To calculate the nth degree Taylor Polynomial for a function, you need to use the formula: Pn(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)2/2! + ... + f(n)(a)(x-a)n/n!, where a is the point around which the polynomial is being approximated and f(n)(a) represents the nth derivative of the function evaluated at a.

3. What is the Taylor series of a function?

The Taylor series of a function is an infinite representation of the function using its derivatives evaluated at a specific point. It is used to approximate the function around that point using a finite number of terms, as in the Taylor Polynomial.

4. Why is the Taylor Polynomial useful?

The Taylor Polynomial is useful because it allows us to approximate complicated functions using simpler polynomials. This can make calculations and analysis easier, as well as provide a better understanding of the behavior of a function around a specific point.

5. Can the Taylor Polynomial be used to find the exact value of a function?

No, the Taylor Polynomial is an approximation of a function and cannot give the exact value. However, as the degree of the polynomial increases, the approximation becomes more accurate. In the limit, as the degree approaches infinity, the Taylor Polynomial becomes equal to the original function, and thus the exact value can be obtained.