American's are above the Law?

• News
  • Thread starter Anttech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: Why do we seem to expect more from our own government?In summary, the US state department rejected a coroners conclusion that the "friendly fire" death of a British soldier in Iraq was unlawful and a criminal act. Lance Corporal of Horse Matty Hull, 25, died near Basra on 28 March 2003 when a US pilot fired on his tank convoy. Sean McCormack said it was a "tragedy" during a time of war. The coroner was critical of US failure to send witnesses to the inquest but the Pentagon said he had access to most information from its own inquiry.
Anttech said:
I don't see any examples of what I asked for there. :confused: Did you read my request correctly?
Great, so the Pentagon has a closed door internal investigation and the families of those how were killed should just accept the outcome of the pentagon?
The families can accept or reject anyone's opinion or form their own if they want. They are humans, afterall, and that is always the choice... :uhh:
Anyway, what isn't clear cut about it? To me it is clear cut, it was an accident, but a crinmal one.
What about an accident makes an accident criminal? Gross neglegence, right? That's the part that isn't clear-cut here. The pilots were told several times that there were no friendlies in the area. You can, of course, say that they should have known better, but that's an opinion with no factual or logical basis different from the opposite opinion. That's pretty much the definition of a toss-up.
I didnt answer it because you didnt ask it, plus I already answered it.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'm going to frame that! That's priceless!
However I will answer it *again*, NO.
When you are being critizied do you feel that the person critizing you is bashing you?
*I* didn't pilot the plane or carry out the investigation, yet you use the word "you"... That's a pretty good indication that your purpose here is to extend this issue to a general USA-bashing. That, and the general rediculousness of this whole line of discussion.
Did a non-impartial judge look at this case inside the USA?
No - why would an American judge look at this?
Why did the USA not send witnesses? Why were they not wanting to help?
They did send investigatory materials (evidence), but on what basis would the US compell witnesses to go to the UK to participate?
The reason why there won't be a trail is because the USA won't allow it to happen.
And you base that on what...? The family saying they don't want one...? :uhh:

C'mon - you're just making stuff up here. This is a nothing issue.
Anttech said:
The UK is now your enemy?
No - you misread the passage.

[these weren't to me, but they are easy to answer, so I'll take them...]
You obviously don't grasp the idea of unlawful killing. The Military is just like any other job, you have some protection against being killed in an unlawful way.
You obviously aren't applying any criteria to accidental killing. Is every car accident a crime?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
devil-fire said:
haven't all those crimes been brought to light by news media before the government has even admitted there to be something worth investigating?
Some yes, some no.
i don't think there would be any trials if the government was able to keep a lid on things like they have been trying to.
Some yes, some no.

From the evidence provided, this thread has become pointless, if you read the transcript, which has been previously cited, it was an accident. There was no malice. There was no proof of reckless endangerment cited in the article. This discussion has become circular and non-productive.

As has been pointed out by another mentor, there is an additional reason why this thread should have been closed.

1) the thread violates the rule not to cast entire populations under the same prejudicial light when discussing the actions of specific politicians or persons

Pointless threads will from now on be locked or deleted immediately.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
<h2>What does it mean for Americans to be above the law?</h2><p>Being above the law means that certain individuals or groups in American society are exempt from following the laws and regulations that apply to everyone else. This can include politicians, wealthy individuals, and those with powerful connections.</p><h2>Is it true that Americans are above the law?</h2><p>No, it is not true that all Americans are above the law. While some individuals may have certain privileges or exemptions, the law applies to all citizens and they are expected to follow it.</p><h2>Why do some people believe that Americans are above the law?</h2><p>There are a few reasons why some people may hold this belief. One is that there have been high-profile cases where wealthy or powerful individuals have seemingly gotten away with breaking the law. Additionally, there may be a perception that certain groups, such as politicians, are above the law due to their positions of power and influence.</p><h2>What are the consequences of believing that Americans are above the law?</h2><p>Believing that Americans are above the law can lead to a lack of trust in the justice system and a sense of unfairness or inequality. It can also create a culture of impunity, where individuals may feel like they can get away with breaking the law without consequence.</p><h2>What can be done to ensure that all Americans are treated equally under the law?</h2><p>To ensure that all Americans are treated equally under the law, it is important for the justice system to be fair and impartial. This includes holding all individuals accountable for their actions, regardless of their wealth or status. It also requires addressing systemic issues and biases that may contribute to unequal treatment in the legal system.</p>

What does it mean for Americans to be above the law?

Being above the law means that certain individuals or groups in American society are exempt from following the laws and regulations that apply to everyone else. This can include politicians, wealthy individuals, and those with powerful connections.

Is it true that Americans are above the law?

No, it is not true that all Americans are above the law. While some individuals may have certain privileges or exemptions, the law applies to all citizens and they are expected to follow it.

Why do some people believe that Americans are above the law?

There are a few reasons why some people may hold this belief. One is that there have been high-profile cases where wealthy or powerful individuals have seemingly gotten away with breaking the law. Additionally, there may be a perception that certain groups, such as politicians, are above the law due to their positions of power and influence.

What are the consequences of believing that Americans are above the law?

Believing that Americans are above the law can lead to a lack of trust in the justice system and a sense of unfairness or inequality. It can also create a culture of impunity, where individuals may feel like they can get away with breaking the law without consequence.

What can be done to ensure that all Americans are treated equally under the law?

To ensure that all Americans are treated equally under the law, it is important for the justice system to be fair and impartial. This includes holding all individuals accountable for their actions, regardless of their wealth or status. It also requires addressing systemic issues and biases that may contribute to unequal treatment in the legal system.