Chemical resonance is legitimate and universal

In summary, chemical resonance is the delocalization of electrons in molecules or ions with multiple possible structures that can be drawn with alternating single and double bonds. It is a scientifically proven and important concept in understanding the behavior and properties of substances. Chemical resonance is universal and is typically represented using Lewis structures with double-headed arrows.
sagredo2007
"Chemical resonance is legitimate and universal"

We all know that Lignus Pauling was the creator of both concepts:

Hybridization and resonance. VB theory centered its strength over MO theory in the fact that they were able to better explain the chemistry of carbon [organic].

Today hybridization is loosing part of its original steam since although it was useful in the beginings, it doesn't work always right. Resonance, however weird and hardly demostratable, still constitutes the only viable way to explain [correctly] the bonds in the ring [Kekule's rings] and similar compounds.

I found an alternative approach to the same subject. It's not a conventional one and its not an officially accepted one either.

However I'd like to hear what members of this forum would have to say about it.

In short, there is a theory that not only base its arguments in the fact that ALL molecules resonate, but also legitimize resonance as universal.

The name of the theory is "Bonding Harmonics" and this is the web addresses to it:
http://www.theory-of-bonding-harmonics.com/theory-Bolding%20Harmonics-THE_CHEMISTRY.htm

Any opinions?

Sagredo2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

Dear Sagredo2007,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic for discussion. I can say that chemical resonance is indeed a legitimate and universal concept in the field of chemistry. It is a fundamental principle that helps us understand the behavior of molecules and their chemical properties.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that hybridization and resonance are not competing theories, but rather complementary concepts. Hybridization explains the bonding in molecules by combining atomic orbitals to form hybrid orbitals, while resonance describes the delocalization of electrons in molecules.

Hybridization may not always accurately predict the geometry or bonding in some molecules, but it is still a useful tool in understanding the electronic structure of molecules, especially in organic chemistry. On the other hand, resonance is essential in explaining the stability and reactivity of molecules, especially in aromatic compounds. In fact, many chemical reactions and mechanisms can only be explained by invoking the concept of resonance.

I am not familiar with the theory of "Bonding Harmonics" that you have mentioned, but I would caution against dismissing the well-established concepts of hybridization and resonance in favor of alternative theories that may not have been extensively tested and accepted by the scientific community. As scientists, we must always critically evaluate new ideas and theories, but we also have to rely on experimental evidence and consensus in the scientific community.

In conclusion, chemical resonance is indeed a legitimate and universal concept in chemistry, and it plays a crucial role in our understanding of molecules and their behavior. While alternative theories may be intriguing, they must be thoroughly evaluated and tested before they can be accepted as valid explanations in the field of chemistry.

I completely agree that chemical resonance is legitimate and universal. It is a fundamental concept in chemistry that helps us understand the bonding and structure of molecules. As you mentioned, it was first proposed by Linus Pauling and has been widely accepted in the scientific community.

The concept of resonance is essential in explaining the properties and behavior of molecules, especially in organic chemistry. It allows us to describe the delocalization of electrons within a molecule, which cannot be explained by a single Lewis structure. This is particularly important in molecules with conjugated systems, such as benzene rings, where the electrons are not localized on a single bond but are spread out over the entire molecule.

I am not familiar with the theory of "Bonding Harmonics," but I believe it is important to consider alternative approaches and ideas in science. However, it is crucial to support these theories with experimental evidence and to have them peer-reviewed and accepted by the scientific community before they can be considered legitimate and universal.

Overall, I believe that chemical resonance is a valid and essential concept in understanding the behavior of molecules and should continue to be studied and taught in chemistry.

1. What is chemical resonance?

Chemical resonance is a concept in chemistry that describes the delocalization of electrons in certain molecules or ions. It occurs when a molecule has multiple possible structures that can be drawn with alternating single and double bonds.

2. Is chemical resonance a real phenomenon?

Yes, chemical resonance is a legitimate and scientifically proven phenomenon. It is supported by experimental evidence and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of molecules and ions.

3. Why is chemical resonance important?

Chemical resonance helps explain the stability and reactivity of molecules and ions. It also allows for the prediction of certain physical and chemical properties of these substances. Without understanding resonance, our understanding of chemistry would be incomplete.

4. Is chemical resonance universal?

Yes, chemical resonance is a universal concept in chemistry. It applies to all molecules and ions that exhibit delocalization of electrons, regardless of their size or complexity.

5. How is chemical resonance represented?

Chemical resonance is typically represented using Lewis structures, which show the different possible arrangements of electrons in a molecule or ion. These structures are connected by double-headed arrows to indicate the delocalization of electrons.