Is paying off student loans a never-ending cycle?

In summary: I am now paying off my mortgage 2 years early, and have saved over $30,000.In summary, the person is saying that they think that going to a state school or a university that receives a scholarship is the best option for a person because they will learn the most from themselves and not from the school. They also mention that getting a loan that allows one to pay off the principle as well as the interest is a good idea.
gravenewworld
So for the first time I took a look at the details of my monthly student loan payment info and found out that of the roughly $320 I pay every month for my student loans $200 of that money goes to paying off the interest! How exactly is this legal? Why can't I pay off all the principal first, then all the interest? I looked at the estimate, and at the rate I am paying off my student loans I won't be done paying them off until about 2032! LOL my one consolidated loan for $35K has a monthly payment of about $180, $130 of which goes to paying off the interest only. Only $50 actually goes to paying the principal. I think I will be dead before I pay off that $35K loan at $50 per month.

HS students, this just goes to show you that you should never overlook your state college, which is probably the best bargain, for some over priced private school that you will need to borrow a ridiculous amount to go to.

Physics news on Phys.org
You think you've got it bad. I got 50 grand in loans and a solid $500 a month to pay. HS students: DONT BE STUPID! MIT, Harvard, whatever the crap are not worth your money. Go to a state school or city college (4 year Bachelor preferably - stay away from Community College as they are a waste of time) or to whatever school you get a scholarship/grants to. Dont be fooled by the hype. The biggest lesson you'll learn from private schools is that self study is the only true lesson from all of this, and that people are inherintly lazy and want to sit back and not work, and by loaning you money with a fine print they'll be able to accomplish just that.

I've co-signed a couple of loans for students (not my kids), who needed help. The interest rates are 7-8.5% and the interest begins to accumulate while one is still in school.

Read the agreement/contract before one signs. As with any contract, one should know exactly to what one is agreeing.

One should get a loan that allows payment of principal beyond the monthly payment, without penalty, in addition to interest. I did this with the mortgage.

What is a student loan?

A student loan is a type of financial aid offered to students to help cover the cost of their education. It is a loan that must be paid back with interest, usually after the student has graduated or left school.

Who can get a student loan?

Student loans are available to students who are enrolled in an accredited college or university and are pursuing a degree or certificate. Typically, students must also be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, have a valid social security number, and maintain satisfactory academic progress.

How much money can I borrow with a student loan?

The amount of money you can borrow with a student loan will vary depending on your financial need, the cost of attendance at your school, and the type of loan you are applying for. You may also be limited by federal loan limits and your own credit history.

Do I have to pay back my student loans while I am still in school?

No, most student loans do not require you to make payments while you are still in school. However, the interest on your loans may continue to accrue during this time. It is important to understand the terms of your loans and make a plan for repayment after graduation.

What happens if I can't afford to pay back my student loans?

If you are struggling to make payments on your student loans, there are options available to help. You may be able to defer your payments, enroll in an income-driven repayment plan, or apply for loan forgiveness. It is important to communicate with your loan servicer and explore your options to avoid defaulting on your loans.