Solving the Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass

• Thread starter WildFlower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, a 2kg mass is wrapped around a flywheel and initially held stationary. When the mass is released and falls a distance of h meters, it has a linear velocity of v m/s while the flywheel has a rotational velocity of W rad/s. By using the principle of conservation of energy, the equation h=v2(0.051+1.77I) can be derived, where I is the moment of inertia and 0.051 and 1.77 are constants. The relationship between h and v is dependent on the moment of inertia of the flywheel.
WildFlower
1. A flywheel about a string is wrapped. At the end of the string is a mass, 2kg, which is initially held staionary at the datum position. If the mass is released it will fall causing the flywheel to rotate, and after the mass has fallen a distance of h meters it has a linear velocity of v m/s whislt the flywheel the flywheel has a rotational velocity of W rad/s

The mass of the object is 2Kg, and the radius of the flywheel is 120mm. By using the principle of conservation of energy, show that the distance fallen, h, and the velocity, v, of the mass and the distance are related by the equation: h=v2(0.051+1.77I)

2. h=v2(0.051+1.77I)

3. I have made several attempts at this but I can't seem to find a relationship with the equation, is it the equation or is it just me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the Moment of Inertia, and what the energy is for a rotating mass?

I would like to clarify that the equation provided is correct and there may be some confusion in the interpretation of the variables. The equation is derived from the principle of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant. In this case, the system consists of the flywheel and the mass attached to it.

The variables in the equation are as follows:

h - distance fallen by the mass (in meters)
v - linear velocity of the mass (in meters per second)
I - moment of inertia of the flywheel (in kgm^2)

The moment of inertia, I, is a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of an object. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation. In this case, the moment of inertia is affected by the mass of the flywheel as well as its radius, which is given as 120mm.

To solve this equation, we can use the fact that the total energy in the system remains constant. Initially, the system has only potential energy, which is equal to the mass of the object (2kg) multiplied by the gravitational acceleration (9.8m/s^2) and the height from which it is released (h). This can be represented as mgh.

As the mass falls, this potential energy is converted into both kinetic energy (1/2mv^2) and rotational kinetic energy (1/2Iw^2). Therefore, we can equate the initial potential energy to the final kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy:

mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2

Substituting the moment of inertia as 1/2mr^2 (where r is the radius of the flywheel), we get:

mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/4mrv^2

Solving for h, we get:

h = v^2(1/2g + 1/4r)

Substituting 1/2g with 0.051 (where g is 9.8m/s^2) and 1/4r with 1.77 (where r is given as 120mm or 0.12m), we get:

h = v^2(0.051 + 1.77)

Therefore, the equation h = v^2(

1. What is the Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass?

The Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass is a mathematical representation of the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. It is used to calculate the amount of energy stored in a flywheel based on its mass, rotational speed, and moment of inertia.

2. How is the Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass derived?

The Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass is derived from the Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum and the Kinetic Energy Equation. By combining these two equations, the Energy Conservation Equation is formed, which takes into account the rotational speed and moment of inertia of the flywheel in addition to its mass.

3. What are the main applications of the Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass?

The Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass is commonly used in engineering and physics to design and analyze flywheel systems. It is particularly useful in applications where there is a need for energy storage and stability, such as in energy storage systems, gyroscopes, and mechanical watches.

4. How does solving the Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass impact energy efficiency?

Solving the Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass allows for the optimization of flywheel systems, leading to improved energy efficiency. By understanding the relationship between mass, rotational speed, and moment of inertia, engineers can design flywheels that store and release energy more efficiently, reducing energy waste and increasing overall efficiency.

5. What are some challenges in solving the Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass?

One of the main challenges in solving the Energy Conservation Equation for Flywheel & Mass is accurately measuring the moment of inertia of the flywheel. This requires precise measurements and can be difficult for complex or irregularly shaped flywheels. Additionally, accounting for friction and other external factors can also affect the accuracy of the solution.