Which has higher polarity, sec-butyl chloride or tert-butyl chloride?

• Thread starter FlipStyle1308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polarity
In summary: The smaller charge separation in 1-chloro-2-methylpropane results in a smaller dipole moment than 1-chlorobutane.
FlipStyle1308

Homework Statement

I just need to know which of the two, sec-butyl chloride or tert-butyl chloride, has the higher polarity.

Homework Equations

I know that better electron withdrawing groups have higher polarity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am learning towards sec-butyl having a higher polarity due to since it is a secondary carbon, but I would like a confirmation on whether my answer is correct or not. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. That would be true. The greater the s character, the higher the polarity.

Without measuring this it is difficult to say. Polarity is also a function of charge separation. T-butyl is a better electron donor than sec-butyl. This could result in a higher negative charge on the chlorine and a higher postive charge on the teritiary carbon of the t-butyl group. This charge separation could cause the t-butylchloride to be of higher polarity.

The permittivity for sec-butyl chloride is 8.564 and that of t-butyl chloride (2-chloro-2-methylpropane) is 9.663. (CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 84th ed., Chap. 6, p 161.) That of 1-chlorobutane is 7.276. It seems to follow the carbocation-stabilizing ability of the carbon attached to the chlorine. The permittivity for 1-chloro-2-methylpropane, another form of butane that has a primary chloro group, is 7.027. This is somewhat lower than 1-chlorobutane (7.276) which indicates that the permitivitty is not solely determined by the nature (primary, secondary, tertiary...) of the chlorine substitution.

Great, thank you for confirming my answer!

Confirming your answer?

Confirming the answer I suspected in the original post. I was leaning towards sec-butyl, and you guys agreed.

What parameter do you think is used to measure polarity?

FlipStyle1308 said:
Confirming the answer I suspected in the original post. I was leaning towards sec-butyl, and you guys agreed.
On the contrary, c-tree has shown that tert-butyl chloride has a greater polarity. The inductive effect of 3 independent methyl groups is greater than that of 1 methyl and 1 ethyl group. The inductive effect from an n-carbon alkyl group does not increase as rapidly as n. But, as mentioned above, there are also effective separations to keep in mind, which makes the determination more complex. I'm guessing it's the smaller charge separation that gives 1-chloro-2-methylpropane a smaller dipole moment than 1-chlorobutane.

Last edited:

1. Which compound has a higher polarity, sec-butyl chloride or tert-butyl chloride?

The compound with higher polarity is tert-butyl chloride. This is because the tert-butyl group, where the chlorine atom is bonded, is more electronegative than the sec-butyl group. This results in a greater difference in electronegativity between the two atoms, making tert-butyl chloride more polar.

2. How does the structure of the compounds affect their polarity?

The structure of a compound can greatly affect its polarity. In this case, the tert-butyl group is more compact and symmetrical compared to the sec-butyl group, which results in a more polar bond. Additionally, the presence of the bulky tert-butyl group can also have an impact on the overall polarity of the compound.

3. Can you explain the concept of electronegativity and how it relates to polarity?

Electronegativity is a measure of an atom's ability to attract electrons towards itself in a chemical bond. The greater the difference in electronegativity between two atoms, the more polar the bond will be. In the case of sec-butyl chloride and tert-butyl chloride, the difference in electronegativity between the carbon and chlorine atoms is greater in tert-butyl chloride, resulting in a higher polarity.

4. What other factors can influence the polarity of a compound?

In addition to the structure and electronegativity, the type of bond (single, double, or triple) and the type of atoms involved can also affect the polarity of a compound. Generally, bonds between atoms with a larger difference in electronegativity will be more polar.

5. How does polarity affect the physical and chemical properties of a compound?

Polarity can greatly influence a compound's physical and chemical properties. For example, polar compounds tend to have higher boiling and melting points due to stronger intermolecular forces. In terms of chemical reactions, the polarity of a compound can affect its reactivity and solubility in different solvents.