Would I be ready for Kleppners Intro to mechanics?

In summary, I think that you should be able to handle Mechanics books after taking Calc III. Kleppner is a good book to start with, but you may want to look for other books if you want them to be more rigorous.
Winzer
Ok, so I was wondering when i am done taking Calc III would I be ready for Kleppners Intro to mechanics? I hear it is quite rigours having use of mulidemensional integration and some diff eq. But that is what Physics is all about! I believe todays physics books are just to cartoony. Is there a kleppners equivalent? What do you think?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that Calc III involves more than basic differentiation and integration, I think you should not have a problem with reading Kleppner.

After calc 3, you can do even harder mechanics books than Kleppner. I highly recommend "Mechanics" by Landau and Lif****z if you want a top notch mechanics book. You will have to learn a little bit of math (rudimentary calculus of variations, and you'll have to look up a theorem here and there), but the book is outstanding. Not a word is wasted, and every explanation is crystal clear (although quite terse).

What about Goldstein? I hear he has some great texts.

Goldstein's Mechanics and Landau/Lif****z are about at the same level. I personally prefer L/L because its much shorter and doesn't feel like it rambles, but many people prefer Goldstein also. If you have library access, you could always just check out a copy of each of these books!

I have seen goldstein at my university library. I will look for landau.
As long as they have very detailed explanations, do they?
I like detail

But you must remember that Goldstein and Kleppner are NOT on the same level. A book like Goldstein's (typically dealing with the subject known as Analytical Mechanics or Classical Mechanics) assumes that you have done a course at the level of Kleppner's.

Yes, that is true. At least mathematically, goldstein or landau is manageable after calc 3, but the physics might be tough going. Personally, I worked through landau with my HS physics teacher with only BC calc as background (plus independant study on a motley array of fun topics), and I found it tough but very rewarding. One other possibility would be doing kleppner and supplementing it with "perfect form" by don lemons, which is an elementary account of lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics and other variational techniques. I read it to prepare myself for landau/lif****z, and quite liked it.

What ever you do though, HAVE FUN WITH IT!

calc three is too much for kleppner, you should have taken it alongside calc 1.

So not Goldstein yet,ok. Are there anyother books you guys recommend for studying Mechanics with math level of calc III? I would like it rigorous and highly detailed.

1. What are the prerequisites for Kleppners Intro to mechanics?

The prerequisites for Kleppners Intro to mechanics typically include a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. Some universities may also require a basic knowledge of physics.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying for Kleppners Intro to mechanics?

The amount of time needed to study for Kleppners Intro to mechanics will vary for each individual. However, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours per week outside of class to review and practice concepts.

3. What topics will be covered in Kleppners Intro to mechanics?

Kleppners Intro to mechanics covers fundamental topics such as kinematics, forces, energy, and momentum. It also introduces students to Newton's laws of motion and basic principles of mechanics.

4. Will there be any hands-on experiments or demonstrations in Kleppners Intro to mechanics?

While this may vary depending on the university or instructor, it is common for students to participate in hands-on experiments or demonstrations in Kleppners Intro to mechanics. These activities allow students to apply their knowledge and better understand the concepts being taught.

5. What are some tips for success in Kleppners Intro to mechanics?

To be successful in Kleppners Intro to mechanics, it is important to attend all lectures and actively participate in class. It is also beneficial to regularly review class notes, practice problems, and seek help from the instructor or tutors if needed.