So I checked out Rudin's Analysis book for fun

In summary, the conversation revolves around the high price of a textbook by author Rudin and the different options for purchasing it at a lower cost. Some participants enjoy Rudin's writing and believe the advanced material is worth the price, but others suggest finding a used or international version for a fraction of the cost.
rocomath
... the book is tiny ... (sure it has lots of advanced material) but wow ... $150 new on Amazon, for something you could lose to your couch? crazy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I should go into the textbook business.

Rudin is one of the best author's I've read, though that list is pretty short. It's probably almost worth all that money.

how much fun did you have?

mathwonk said:
how much fun did you have?
not much. i was just curious to see what higher level math textbooks contained, lotsss of theorems!

Pugh Analysis is better.

I've checked amazon and the only book of his that costs so much is functional analysis but still it doesn't cost 150 dollars.

loop quantum gravity said:
I've checked amazon and the only book of his that costs so much is functional analysis but still it doesn't cost 150 dollars.
USA Hardcover $156.25

dude, go international. its like $26 for a used one. XD

who buys hardcover, nowadays?

strings235 said:
dude, go international. its like $26 for a used one. XD

Or for half that price, new. :wink:
http://firstandsecond.com/store/books/info/search.asp?styp=isb&stxt=0070856133

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Rudin's Analysis book about?

Rudin's Analysis book is a textbook on mathematical analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with limits, continuity, derivatives, and integrals.

2. Is Rudin's Analysis book suitable for beginners?

No, Rudin's Analysis book is not suitable for beginners. It is intended for advanced undergraduate or graduate students who have a strong foundation in calculus and mathematical proof writing.

3. What makes Rudin's Analysis book unique?

Rudin's Analysis book is known for its rigorous and concise approach to mathematical analysis. It presents the subject matter in a clear and logical manner, with a focus on developing the reader's understanding of the underlying concepts.

4. Is Rudin's Analysis book practical or theoretical?

Rudin's Analysis book is primarily theoretical. It focuses on building a strong foundation in mathematical analysis, which can then be applied to various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. How can I benefit from reading Rudin's Analysis book even if I am not a mathematics major?

Reading Rudin's Analysis book can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also introduces you to advanced mathematical concepts and techniques that may be applicable in other fields. Moreover, it can deepen your understanding and appreciation for the beauty and elegance of mathematics.