Can anyone get me on the right track?

• Thread starter yoshi6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, a procedure for separating the ions Ag+(aq), Ca2+(aq), and Ni2+(aq) from a solution containing them at 0.1 M concentration can be done in the following order: 1) Add a strip of copper to the solution, which will displace the silver ions first. 2) Filter the solution to remove the silver ions. 3) Add a strip of magnesium to the remaining solution, which will displace the calcium ions next. 4) Filter the solution to remove the calcium ions. 5) Lastly, add a strip of zinc to the remaining solution, which will displace the nickel ions. 6) Filter the solution to remove the nickel ions. This process exploits
yoshi6
Can anyone get me on the right track?

A solution contains the folllowing ions, each at a 0.1 M concentration.

Ag+(aq), Ca2+(aq), Ni2+(aq)

write out a procedure by which these ions may be sparated form each other and from the solution, clearly indicating the order of separation and when filtering should be done.

Please and thankyou...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, here's a hint: the least reactive of substances are the most easily displaced from a solution, so the order of separation would clearly be from the least reactive to the most.

hmmm...I am still confused as to what kind of a procedure, what does it mean by this?

anyone have anything to add?? thanks!

If you place a strip of copper into a silver nitrate solution, the copper would force (displace) the silver out from the solution, right? The concept is basically the same here.

Please remember to show your own work first. Also, please take notice that the thread has been moved to the homework and coursework forum, where similar questions should be posted in the future.

1. Can anyone be successful in getting me on the right track as a scientist?

Success in any field, including science, requires dedication, hard work, and a passion for learning. With the right mindset and determination, anyone can achieve success as a scientist.

2. How do I know if I'm on the right track in my scientific research?

To determine if you are on the right track in your research, regularly evaluate your progress, seek feedback from peers and experts in your field, and continuously educate yourself on current scientific advancements.

3. What steps can I take to get back on the right track if I feel stuck in my scientific work?

If you feel stuck in your scientific work, try approaching the problem from a different angle, seeking advice from others, or taking a break to gain new perspectives. Additionally, continuously re-evaluate your research methods and make adjustments as needed.

4. How important is collaboration in staying on the right track as a scientist?

Collaboration is crucial in the scientific field as it allows for the exchange of ideas, expertise, and resources. Working with others can help you stay on the right track and make progress in your research.

5. What resources are available to help me stay on the right track as a scientist?

There are many resources available to help scientists stay on the right track, such as scientific journals, conferences, and workshops. Additionally, seeking mentorship, joining research groups, and utilizing technology and software can also aid in staying on the right track.