Self-Studying Mechanics as a Math Major: Thornton/Marion Guide

In summary, as a math major who has not taken any physics courses, you may find Marion and Thornton's undergraduate physics book to be difficult. A better option for self-study may be Arnold's book. If you want an introductory book with easier math requirements, Kleppner's book is a good choice. Some differential topology/geometry and standard physics material should suffice before purchasing the book. Other options for mechanics textbooks include Fowles, Symon, Goldstein, Landau and Lifsh*tz, Woodhouse, and "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics." If you go through Kleppner/Kolenkow, there is no need to also go through standard books like Halliday and Resnick. After studying mechanics,
tronter
I am by training a math major. I have not taken any physics courses. If I want to self study mechanics, could I start of with Thorton/Marion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marion and Thornton is perhaps the undergraduate physics book I've had to deal with. It really is just awful. As a math major I think you'll find it even worse than most physicists do. If your math is strong enough, check out Arnold: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387968903/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For an introductory book with much easier math requirements look at Kleppner's Introduction to Mechanics book.

If you want to maintain your sanity skip Thornton.

trinitron said:
Marion and Thornton is perhaps the undergraduate physics book I've had to deal with. It really is just awful. As a math major I think you'll find it even worse than most physicists do. If your math is strong enough, check out Arnold: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387968903/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For an introductory book with much easier math requirements look at Kleppner's Introduction to Mechanics book.

If you want to maintain your sanity skip Thornton.
What Math level should I be at before I purchase this book? It is much cheaper than Kleppner's book

Some differential topology/geometry in addition to the standard physics material (ODE, PDE) should do.

Kleppner is a good book for a first-year university course in mechanics. I think it's one of the best books to prepare someone for subsequent mechanics courses and textbooks. An alternative which is currently available online is David Morin's textbook for Physics 16 at Harvard University, which will soon be published by Cambridge University Press.

Thornton & Marion is a pretty standard choice for a second course in mechanics. Other books at a similar level are Analytical Mechanics by Fowles and Mechanics by Symon. I happen to like Thornton & Marion: I think it is well-suited for the typical physics undergraduate whose primary interest is learning how to apply the techniques of Lagrangian and Hamiltonian techniques to solve problems, but I can see why a more theoretical or mathematically-oriented reader might dislike it.

The standard textbook for graduate-level mechanics is Classical Mechanics by Goldstein. Another book that is probably at a similar level is Mechanics by Landau and Lifsh*tz.

Last edited:
You might like Woodhouse's text:
http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/top3mset/463b7ef715179873a19afeb4da09e526.html
and possibly this free text " Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics"
http://mitpress.mit.edu/SICM/

Kleppner is a great advanced-introductory Newtonian-mechanics text.
Arnold and Abraham-Marsden are rather advanced geometrical treatments [using symplectic methods].

If I go through Kleppner/Kolenkow, is there a need for me to go through standard books like Halliday and Resnick for mechanics?

After this I am planning to study Berkely Vol. 2 E&M.

Thanks

tronter said:
If I go through Kleppner/Kolenkow, is there a need for me to go through standard books like Halliday and Resnick for mechanics?
No, you don't need to.

tronter said:
After this I am planning to study Berkely Vol. 2 E&M.

That's a common followup to a text like K&K.

Thornton messed up that text, get the 1st or second edition authored by Jerry B. Marion alone, they are much better.

I have taking newtionain mechanics, but no lagragnian or hamitolian. And I also have studied math and physics for 3years. This semster I will take mechanics pt2 that deals with:

Central force motion
Eulers equations
Special relativity
Coupled harmonic oscillators
Lagrange and Hamiltons formulation of classical mechanics

The course book is Thorton/Marion - dymanics..

Should I also try to get over an older verison with only Marion as author, and sell the book by marion/thorton when class is over?

1. What is "Self-Studying Mechanics as a Math Major: Thornton/Marion Guide"?

"Self-Studying Mechanics as a Math Major: Thornton/Marion Guide" is a comprehensive guidebook designed for math majors who wish to self-study mechanics. It covers the fundamental concepts and applications of mechanics, and provides practice problems and solutions for self-assessment.

2. Why should a math major study mechanics?

Mechanics is a fundamental branch of physics that deals with the motion and forces of objects. It provides a strong foundation for understanding other fields of physics and engineering, and is also highly applicable in various real-world scenarios. For math majors, studying mechanics can enhance their problem-solving skills and analytical thinking abilities.

3. How can a math major use the Thornton/Marion Guide for self-studying mechanics?

The Thornton/Marion Guide is designed for self-study, so math majors can use it as a self-paced learning resource. The guide provides clear explanations of concepts and examples, as well as practice problems and solutions for self-assessment. Math majors can also use the guide to supplement their coursework or as a review for exams.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using the Thornton/Marion Guide?

The Thornton/Marion Guide assumes a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra. It also helps to have a strong foundation in trigonometry and algebra. If a math major is unfamiliar with these concepts, it may be helpful to review them before using the guide.

5. Can a non-math major use the Thornton/Marion Guide to study mechanics?

While the guide is specifically designed for math majors, it can also be useful for non-math majors who have a strong background in mathematics. However, it may be more challenging for non-math majors to use the guide without prior knowledge of calculus and linear algebra. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of these subjects before using the guide for self-study.