Don't know where to start on this problem

• Thread starter Warpedintellect
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a 1.25-kg object moving in the x direction at 17.4 m/s and then at 26.8 m/s at 34° to the x axis 3.41 s later. To find the magnitude and direction of the force applied during this time, you need to break down the vectors and use the equations F = ma and vec{F} = m\vec{a} to calculate the x and y components of the acceleration and force. Then, you can find the magnitude and direction of the force.
Warpedintellect

Homework Statement

A 1.25-kg object is moving in the x direction at 17.4 m/s. Just 3.41 s later, it is moving at 26.8 m/s at 34° to the x axis. What are the magnitude and direction of the force applied during this time?

Homework Equations

F = ma = m(v/t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the initial force is 6.378N and after that I don't know where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
Force, acceleration, and velocity are all vectors. And acceleration is the change in velocity over the time interval.

so v2 - v1/ t is the Fnet acceleration, then i don't understand how you get the force acting upon it

[tex]\vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/tex]

But I don't think you get the vector part, which is key. You should start this problem by asking yourself these questions:

What is the x component of the initial velocity?
What is the y component of the initial velocity?
What is the x component of the final velocity?
What is the y component of the final velocity?

Given the answers, you should be able to compute the x component of the acceleration and the y component of the acceleration. Then, the x component of the force and the y component of the force. Then, the magnitude of the force and its direction (expressed as an angle relative to the positive x axis).

Last edited:

1. What do I do if I don't know where to start on a problem?

As a scientist, it's common to encounter problems or challenges that seem daunting or overwhelming. The first step is to take a deep breath and try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This will help you to identify the key components and come up with a plan of attack.

2. How can I overcome feeling stuck on a problem?

It's normal to feel stuck or unsure of where to start on a problem. One strategy is to take a step back and look at the problem from a different perspective. You can also try brainstorming, discussing the problem with colleagues, or doing some research to gather more information. Sometimes, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh mind can also be helpful.

3. What are some tips for approaching a complex problem?

Complex problems can be daunting, but there are some strategies that can help you tackle them more effectively. One tip is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable pieces. You can also try creating a visual representation of the problem, such as a flowchart or diagram. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help or collaborate with others who may have a different perspective or skill set.

4. How do I know if I'm on the right track when solving a problem?

It's important to regularly check in and assess your progress when working on a problem. One way to do this is to set mini goals or milestones for yourself and make sure you're meeting them. You can also discuss your approach with colleagues or mentors to get feedback and make sure you're on the right track. Remember, problem-solving is a process and it's okay to make adjustments along the way.

5. What should I do if I still don't know where to start on a problem after trying different strategies?

If you've tried different strategies and still feel stuck on a problem, don't be afraid to ask for help. This could be from a colleague, mentor, or even reaching out to experts in the field. It's also important to not get discouraged and keep an open mind. Sometimes, it may take several attempts before finding the right approach to solving a problem.