What is the Relationship Between the Age and Size of the Universe?

• Thread starter timrod1011
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Cosmos
In summary, the age of the universe is estimated to be 13.8 billion years and is determined through various methods such as measuring the expansion rate and studying cosmic background radiation. The observable universe has a radius of 46.5 billion light years due to expansion since the Big Bang. The universe is not infinite but has a finite age and size, with an estimated 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe. The largest known structure is the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall, which spans over 10 billion light years and is still being studied by scientists.
timrod1011
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member to this interesting forum, just joined.

I was watching a program on the Discovery channel about the Universe. They were talking about the size and said it was "157 billion light years across. I watched the program 2 times to make sure I got it right.

QUESTION

If the universe is about 13.7 billion years old, how can this be?

thanks
tim

Space news on Phys.org

1. What is the age of the universe?

The current estimate for the age of the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years. This age is determined through various methods such as measuring the expansion rate of the universe, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and observing the ages of the oldest stars.

2. How big is the observable universe?

The observable universe is estimated to have a radius of 46.5 billion light years. This is because the universe has been expanding since the Big Bang, and the light from objects at the edge of the observable universe has taken 46.5 billion years to reach us.

3. Is the universe infinite?

The current understanding is that the universe is not infinite. It is constantly expanding and has a finite age, so it cannot be infinite. However, the exact size and shape of the universe are still unknown.

4. How many galaxies are in the observable universe?

It is estimated that there are around 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe. This number is constantly increasing as new galaxies are discovered through advancements in technology and research.

5. What is the largest known structure in the universe?

The largest known structure in the universe is the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall, which is a colossal grouping of galaxies that spans over 10 billion light years. It is about 7 times the size of the observable universe and is still being studied by scientists to better understand its structure and origins.