Validation of Ansys FEA solution

• Thread starter cabellos2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ansys Fea
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ansys Workbench to calculate stress in a tension test specimen. The person is seeking advice on how to check the results through manual calculations, specifically using beam theories. However, it is determined that comparing axial stress using a simple formula is more appropriate in this case. The conversation also mentions that the shape of the specimen is designed to achieve a 1D stress, and it is easy to check the results using this method.
cabellos2
For the tension test specimen (shown below in the link) I am using Ansys Workbench to calculate the stress in the parallel portion. How could I go about checking this through manual calculations? I have been told to use beam theories for this, however I can't see how this applies as the force is being apllied axially therefore a simple axial stress = force/area would be most appropriate? Or is this incorrect. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testpiecexv0.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi cabellos2,

yeah, don't see much relation to bending of beams here. Well, other than tension of beams/rods as you thought yourself. Comparing the axial stress sounds appropriate for comparing the 2 (I'm thinking this is a linear analysis, i.e. an analysis where you focus on what is going on before yield stress and you don't have to think about the "other parts" of a tensile test, like true stress-strain curves and such).

I thought one of the reasons for having tensile stress specimens shaped the way they are is an attempt to get as close to P/A as possible, i.e. a 1D stress. I can't think of any beam theory that deals with this. It's easy enough to check your results. How did they compare?

What is the purpose of validating Ansys FEA solution?

The purpose of validating Ansys FEA (Finite Element Analysis) solution is to ensure that the results obtained from the simulation accurately represent the behavior of the real-world system. This involves comparing the FEA results with experimental or analytical data to determine the accuracy and reliability of the simulation.

What are the steps involved in validating Ansys FEA solution?

The steps involved in validating Ansys FEA solution typically include defining the problem and setting up the model, running the simulation, comparing the results with experimental or analytical data, and making necessary adjustments to improve the accuracy of the model.

What types of validation techniques can be used for Ansys FEA solution?

There are several validation techniques that can be used for Ansys FEA solution, including comparison with analytical solutions, comparison with experimental data, and mesh convergence analysis. Other techniques such as sensitivity analysis and uncertainty analysis can also be used to validate the FEA results.

What are the common sources of error in Ansys FEA solution?

Some of the common sources of error in Ansys FEA solution include improper model setup, incorrect material properties, mesh distortion, and convergence issues. It is also important to consider the effects of boundary conditions and loading conditions on the accuracy of the results.

How can the accuracy of Ansys FEA solution be improved?

The accuracy of Ansys FEA solution can be improved by using a finer mesh, refining the model geometry, and ensuring that the material properties and boundary conditions are accurately defined. It is also important to perform sensitivity analysis and convergence studies to identify and address any potential sources of error in the model.