What Is the Error in My Gram-Schmidt Calculation?

• Thread starter helpm3pl3ase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, Jason is stuck on a problem. He has the 2 vectors v1 [4,0,3] and v2 [25,0,-25]. He first obtains (1/||v1||)v1 = [4/5 0 3/5] = z1. He then proceeds to do: (v2 - (z1 . v2)z1)/||v2 - (z1 . v2)|| = [25 0 -25] - 5 [4/5 0 3/5] = [25 0 -25] + [-4 0 -3] = [21 0 -28] = u2. However, in the book it shows the correct answer
helpm3pl3ase
I am stuck on a problem.. I keep obtaining the incorrect answer and I am unsure of where my calculation went wrong? I have the 2 vectors v1 [4,0,3] and v2 [25,0,-25]

I first obtain (1/||v1||)v1 = [4/5 0 3/5] = z1

I then proceed to do: (v2 - (z1 . v2)z1)/||v2 - (z1 . v2)|| = [25 0 -25] - 5 [4/5 0 3/5] = [25 0 -25] + [-4 0 -3] = [21 0 -28] = u2

then 1/||u2|| = sqrt(21^2 + 0^2 + -28^2) = 35

So i should get (1/35)[25 0 -25]

But in the book it shows the correct answer to be:

(1/5)[3 0 -4]?? I don't see where I went wrong.. I went over it several times.. I just must be missing something??

Physics news on Phys.org
it's so difficult to understand what you wrote but if you want to project [itex]\vec{u_1}[/itex] onto [itex]\vec{u_2}[/itex] you do this:

[tex] \frac{\vec{u_1} \bullet \vec{u_2}}{\vec{u_1} \bullet \vec{u_1}} \vec{u_1}[/tex]

then the orthogonal compliment is just [itex] u_1 - proj[/itex]

blahh.. I don't get it.. I did and still not the right answer is produced.. can someone help.. I don't know what I am missing

The main question is to just perform Gram-Schmidt on those first two vectors:
and

I did it in the first post and just did it again.. I still i get a different answer then what is in the book.

I suggest taking your sweet ass time when doing the Gram-Schmidt process. It's so easy to make a mistake and one mistake just carries on.

Do it slowly and double check and check again.

I did this.. just want to make sure my formula is right for vector 2.. where u1 = what you received for the first vector.

V2 =
v2 - (u1 (dot product) v2)u1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
||v2 - (u1 (dot product) v2)u1||

where ~~~~ = divide.

I did this over and over again and seem to get (1/35)v2

EDIT: Nevermind, your first post works out doesn't it?

You have u_2=[21 0 -28]=7[3 0 -4]

so normalize it to get the right answer.

Last edited:
i get how you got 7[3 0 -4]

but for the answer it shows:

(1/5) [3 0 -4]

So I am still not sure how the hell they got the (1/5)

What is [itex]3^2+(-4)^2[/itex]?

Jason: in this context, is 2000 or 2007 the more memorable number? :wink:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh alright i think i got it.. thank you all for your help.. But what happens to the 7?

You are just normalizing the vector, i.e. scale it so becomes of unit length.
If v is a nonzero vector, then clearly v/|v| is a unit vector, where |v| is the norm of v.
So what is the norm of 7[3 0 -4] ?

1. What is the Gram-Schmidt problem?

The Gram-Schmidt problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding an orthonormal basis for a given vector space. This is done by taking a set of linearly independent vectors and transforming them into a set of orthogonal vectors, where each vector is perpendicular to all other vectors in the set.

2. What is the purpose of the Gram-Schmidt process?

The purpose of the Gram-Schmidt process is to simplify a set of linearly independent vectors into a set of orthogonal vectors. This can be useful in various applications, such as in linear algebra, signal processing, and computer graphics.

3. How does the Gram-Schmidt process work?

The Gram-Schmidt process involves a series of steps that transform a set of linearly independent vectors into a set of orthogonal vectors. This is done by subtracting components of each vector that are parallel to previously processed vectors, and then normalizing the resulting vector. This process is repeated for each vector in the set to create an orthonormal basis.

4. What are some common challenges when solving the Gram-Schmidt problem?

Some common challenges when solving the Gram-Schmidt problem include identifying whether the given set of vectors is linearly independent, understanding the steps involved in the process, and correctly implementing the calculations. It is also important to pay attention to the order in which the vectors are processed, as this can affect the final result.

5. How can I overcome difficulties with the Gram-Schmidt problem?

To overcome difficulties with the Gram-Schmidt problem, it is important to have a solid understanding of linear algebra and vector operations. It can also be helpful to practice the process with simpler examples before attempting more complex problems. Seeking guidance from a tutor or professor can also be beneficial in understanding the steps and identifying any mistakes in the calculations.