Solving the Fresnel Equations with Polarization Parallel to Plane of Incidence

In summary, the person is trying to solve for the coefficients of a wave in a medium with a refractive index different from that of the medium. They are using Snell's law, but are not getting the equations to simplify. They are close, but not quite there.
chronite

Homework Statement

The question involves the fresnel equations which I have derived. However, I seem to be missing something in the simplification. I arrive at these:

http://physics.tamuk.edu/~suson/html/4323/gifs/prop034.gif
http://physics.tamuk.edu/~suson/html/4323/gifs/prop035.gif

and I am trying to simplify to:
http://physics.tamuk.edu/~suson/html/4323/gifs/prop036.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

No matter how I use snell's law I can't seem to get them to simplify properly. Is there a trig identity that I'm missing? Currently I'm only interested in the coefficients if the field is polarized parallel to the plane of incidence.

Thanks for any input with the mathematics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably easier to start from the simplified forms and turn them into the unsimplified forms. Then you'll be able to see how to go the other way. The only trig identities you should need are:

[tex]sin(\theta1 - \theta2) = sin(\theta1)cos(\theta2) - sin(\theta2)cos(\theta1)[/tex]
[tex]cos(\theta1 - \theta2) = cos(\theta1)cos(\theta2) + sin(\theta2)sin(\theta1)[/tex]
(and the similar identities for addition)
[tex]sin^2(\theta) + cos^2(\theta) = 1[/tex]
[tex]tan(\theta) = sin(\theta)/cos(\theta)[/tex]

and Snell's law, of course. Good luck!

Thanks for the help!

I'm still having some difficulty. Not sure what I'm missing. For example, I keep ending up with:

r|| = (Sin[2*Theta1] - Sin[2*Theta2])/(Sin[2*Theta1] + Sin[2*Theta2])

I'm assuming Nair = 1.

But you're very close to the answer. Don't use the identity [tex]sin(2\theta)=2sin(\theta)*cos(\theta)[/tex], go back a step and write those terms out. Then, look at the equation you're trying to turn it into. It has a form like:

[tex] ((something)*cos(\theta_i) - (something else)*cos(\theta_t)) / ((something)*cos(\theta_i) + (something else)*cos(\theta_t)) [/tex]

and your equation has this same form. Maybe you can find a way, by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the same thing and using Snell's law, to make them match?

Thanks for the help! I'm still not seeing something with this one:
[tex] (sin(\theta_i)+sin(\theta_i))*cos(\theta_i) - (sin(\theta_t)+sin(\theta_t))*cos(\theta_t)) / (sin(\theta_i)+sin(\theta_i))*cos(\theta_i) + (sin(\theta_t)+sin(\theta_t))*cos(\theta_t)) [/tex]

This is driving me nuts! I really appreciate your help.

Scratch that worked it out! Muchas Gracias!

thanks both of you!
i was just working on the same exact problem and having the same trouble.
this helped a lot.

1. What are the Fresnel equations?

The Fresnel equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the behavior of light when it passes through the boundary between two different media.

2. What is the significance of polarization parallel to the plane of incidence?

Polarization parallel to the plane of incidence refers to the orientation of the electric field of light as it strikes a surface. This type of polarization affects how light is reflected and transmitted at the boundary between two media.

3. How is polarization parallel to the plane of incidence solved in the Fresnel equations?

The Fresnel equations take into account the polarization of light parallel to the plane of incidence by including a factor called the Fresnel coefficient in the equations. This coefficient depends on the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of the two media.

4. What types of materials does the Fresnel equations with polarization parallel to the plane of incidence apply to?

The Fresnel equations with polarization parallel to the plane of incidence can be applied to any material with a refractive index, including transparent materials, metals, and dielectrics.

5. How are the Fresnel equations with polarization parallel to the plane of incidence used in scientific research?

The Fresnel equations with polarization parallel to the plane of incidence are used in many fields of science, including optics, materials science, and engineering. They are particularly useful in studying the behavior of light at the interface between materials, which has applications in areas such as optical coatings, anti-reflective coatings, and optical devices.