Gliese 581c/d and their Red Sun?

• Thread starter Butch007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sun
In summary, the sky, light, and plant life on Gliese 581c/d would look similar to Earth, but with a deeper red atmosphere.
Butch007
I am doing some research for a graphic novel I am building with a group that will take place on Gliese 581c/Gliese 581d and am trying to get as accurate information as possible about what the sky, light and plant life would look like in either of these environments. Could this be an accurate representation?
"[URL
Red and Purple Atmosphere?[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
That looks like Earth through a purple filter!
The sky would look redder to us - of course if something eveolved on the planet then the sky would look normal, just as creatures from a bluer sun would think our sky was too red!
Plants
would probably need larger leaves to capture enough energy from the weaker red photons and different photo chemistry of course.
Being much nearer to a larger cooler sun would have different weather patterns and seasons.

Thanks MGB. Implying that the photo chemistry would be different begins to hint at the idea that plant life may be completely different from green? Maybe even dark purple or charcoal black to absorb light more effectively? A studio member of mine suggested that the greater gravity of the Gliese "Super Earth" might only support short stocky life which seems to make some logical sense, but also puts a damper on some of my creative concept development (I think the "Super Earth" gravity is estimated as 1.5x greater than earth)

The sky would still be blue, I believe, since we get our blue sky from Rayleigh scattering of sunlight.

Also, the star in the image that was linked to is far too red; it would actually be a light orange-ish color. You can see at:

http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/blackbody/

Gliese 581 is about 3,500 K.

FTL_Diesel said:
The sky would still be blue, I believe, since we get our blue sky from Rayleigh scattering of sunlight.

Also, the star in the image that was linked to is far too red; it would actually be a light orange-ish color. You can see at:

http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/blackbody/

Gliese 581 is about 3,500 K.

That's a nice chart! I can use it to tell the temperature of the electric heating coils on the stove.

So maybe the Gliese sun would look like an apricot? It would look BIG I guess, being relatively close (even tho smaller in absolute size)

Actually isn't the tungsten filament of a 100 watt lightbulb something like 3500 K?
The cast of light might not look all that unfamiliar.
The atmosphere might be very deep and optically thick. If it wasn't too cloudy I expect you are right that it would be blue.

Last edited:

1. What is Gliese 581c/d?

Gliese 581c/d is a planetary system located approximately 20 light years away from Earth in the constellation Libra. It consists of two exoplanets, Gliese 581c and Gliese 581d, orbiting a red dwarf star named Gliese 581.

2. Can Gliese 581c/d support life?

It is possible that Gliese 581c/d could support life, as both planets are located within the habitable zone of their star. However, more research is needed to determine the exact conditions on these planets and whether they have the necessary elements for life to exist.

3. What makes Gliese 581c/d's red sun different from our sun?

Gliese 581c/d orbits a red dwarf star, which is significantly smaller and cooler than our sun. Red dwarfs also have longer lifespans than larger stars, making them more stable environments for planets to orbit.

4. How were Gliese 581c/d and its red sun discovered?

Gliese 581c was discovered in 2007 by a team of astronomers using the HARPS instrument on the European Southern Observatory's 3.6-meter telescope. Gliese 581d was later discovered in 2009 using the same instrument.

5. Are there any other planets in the Gliese 581c/d system?

Currently, only two planets have been confirmed in the Gliese 581c/d system - Gliese 581c and Gliese 581d. However, there is evidence of a third planet, Gliese 581e, but it has not been officially confirmed yet.