Typical Forces and friction question

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about determining the force of tension and force of kinetic friction for a box sliding up a ramp. The attempted solution involves finding the net force and using the equations Fnet=ma and Fg=mg. The person is unsure of how to approach the question further and seeks clarification on finding the normal force and determining the tension force.
notwhatthe
[solved] Forces and friction

Hi guys :]

Homework Statement

A box (A) slides up a ramp due to the mass of the attached box (B).
Given the acceleration and ramp length, determine the force of tension and force of kinetic friction.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I only got as far as finding the Fnet by multiplying the combined masses and given acceleration. Where do I go from here?
I don't need numerical values, just.. can someone enlighten me on how I should approach this question, so I can find the kinetic friction and tension forces?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks :redface:!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think kinetic friction is found by multiplying the friction coefficient by normal force. So the normal force must be found. Not really sure about tension.

Hello!

To find the tension force, you will need to use the equation Fnet = ma and isolate for the tension force. Since the box is sliding up the ramp, the net force will be equal to the kinetic friction force minus the weight force (Fnet = Fk - Fg). You can then substitute the equation for kinetic friction (Fk = μkN) and solve for the tension force.

To find the kinetic friction force, you will need to use the equation Fk = μkN, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force. The normal force can be found by using the equation N = mgcosθ, where θ is the angle of the ramp.

I hope this helps you approach the question and find the necessary forces. Remember to always start with the given information and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown values. Good luck!

1. What is a typical force?

A typical force is a contact force that acts between two objects in direct contact with each other. This type of force can either push or pull an object and is measured in Newtons (N).

2. What is friction?

Friction is a resistive force that opposes the motion or attempted motion of an object. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces and is measured in Newtons (N).

3. How is friction related to typical forces?

Friction is a type of typical force that acts between two objects in contact with each other. It can either increase or decrease the amount of force needed to move an object, depending on the direction of the force.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction between two objects?

The amount of friction between two objects is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the objects together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants between two surfaces, smoothing out the surfaces, or by using wheels or rollers to reduce the surface area in contact between the two objects.