Calculating Volume of a Pyramid Frustum with Square Base and Top

• Thread starter Lamoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pyramid
In summary, to find the volume of a frustum of a pyramid with a square base of side b, square top of side a, and height h, you need to use an integral from 0 to h of the area of the square. To find the length of the side of the square at a specific height, you can use the fact that it is a linear function of y, with initial value b and final value a. The equation for s(y) would be (a-b)y/h + b.
Lamoid
Find the volume of frustum of a pyramid with square base of side b, square top of side a, and height h.

Usually when I do these volume problems, I treat them as an equation rotating around an axis, but this object has flat sides so I don't know how to begin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Pyramid_frustum_for_Moscow_papyrus_14.jpg

The solid looks like that.

I know I need to make an integral from 0 to h of the area of the square but while I usually replace the radius in the formula with an equation, I cannot do so here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lamoid said:
I know I need to make an integral from 0 to h of the area of the square but while I usually replace the radius in the formula with an equation, I cannot do so here.

Yes you can: Let s(y) be the length of the side of the square at height y. You know that s(0) = b and s(h) = a. You also know that s(y) has to a linear function of y. (Why?) Use these facts to find s(y).

So S(y) is (a - b)x / h ?

Last edited:
I think you meant (a - b)y / h. You know this is not it because when y = h, it yields a - b. You want it to yield just a.

Oh whoop, I should have seen my linear equation needed a "+ b" on the end based on the 0,b point. So the equation should look like s(y) = (a-b)y/h + b ?

You got it.

1. What is a frustrum of a pyramid?

A frustrum of a pyramid is a three-dimensional shape that is formed when the top portion of a pyramid is cut off by a plane parallel to the base. It is a truncated pyramid with two parallel bases.

2. What are the properties of a frustrum of a pyramid?

The properties of a frustrum of a pyramid include having two parallel bases that are congruent, four lateral faces that are trapezoidal in shape, and the same number of vertices and edges as the original pyramid.

3. How is the volume of a frustrum of a pyramid calculated?

The volume of a frustrum of a pyramid can be calculated by using the formula V = (1/3)h(b1 + b2 + √(b1b2)), where h is the height of the frustrum, and b1 and b2 are the areas of the two parallel bases.

4. Can a frustrum of a pyramid have different shapes for its bases?

Yes, a frustrum of a pyramid can have different shapes for its bases as long as they are parallel to each other. This means that the bases can be any polygon, such as a rectangle, square, triangle, or even a circle.

5. What is the difference between a frustrum of a pyramid and a cone?

The main difference between a frustrum of a pyramid and a cone is that a frustrum has two parallel bases, whereas a cone has a circular base and a single vertex. Additionally, the lateral faces of a frustrum of a pyramid are trapezoidal, while the lateral face of a cone is a curved surface.