How is the wave equation derived?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the wave equation by applying Newton's law to an elastic string. The three components necessary for the equation are Newton's 2nd law, constitutive relations, and the liberal application of linearization. The equation is based on a linearization of the sine and cosine functions around small angles. A differential element of a string is used to perform a force balance and a PDE book is recommended for further understanding.
mcmzie
Hi All,

Question: "How is the wave equation derived?

This is the question.

Here is my answer. I am trying to ensure that it is correct.

"To derive wave equation, we apply Newton's law to an elastic string, concluding that small amplitude transverse vibrations of the string obey the wave equation"

(2) Then What are the three components necessary for this equation?

(3) What does each mean?

My question: Are the three components referred to in question 2, Newton's 2nd law, constitutive relations and the liberal application of linearization?

Please help clarify

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what your saying. Take a differential element of a string and do a force balance on it.

Id really look into a PDE book if I were you.

Yes, it is based on a linearization of the sine and cosine functions around small angles.

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/WaveEquation.html

Hello mcmzie.
Unless you're in a very unusual physics class, you're expected to do a lot of math, not write a lot of words.

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves in various physical systems. It can be used to model the motion of all types of waves, including sound, light, and water waves.

2. How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation is derived from the fundamental laws of physics, specifically the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. It can also be derived using mathematical methods, such as Fourier analysis.

3. What is the importance of the wave equation?

The wave equation is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of waves in different physical systems. It has many practical applications, including in the fields of acoustics, optics, and electromagnetism.

4. Can the wave equation be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the wave equation is a universal formula that can be applied to all types of waves, regardless of their nature. However, it may need to be modified or adapted for different situations, such as when dealing with non-linear or dispersive waves.

5. Are there any limitations to the wave equation?

While the wave equation is a powerful tool for studying wave behavior, it does have limitations. It assumes ideal conditions, such as a uniform medium and small amplitude waves. In reality, these conditions may not always be present, and the wave equation may need to be modified or combined with other equations to accurately describe the system.