Solving Double Integrals with Change of Variables

In summary, The sources recommended for understanding change of variables in double integrals are Marsden&Tromba's "Vector Calculus" and Marsden's "Introduction to Real Analysis". For a more intuitive understanding, "Vector Calculus" is recommended as it focuses on generating the proper area elements. The problem can be approached by setting u=2x-y and v=3x+y, as suggested in the conversation. This method is compared to the concept of u-substitution in double integrals.
Zaphodx57x
Does anyone know of any sources that explain change of variables for double integrals. Actually, I get the change of variables thing, but a few of our problems don't give us the transforms. I don't understand how to create these myself.

Here is an example:
Math Problem

So far, I found all the x,y coordinates of the joints because I know these joints or cross sections will exist after we change variables. However, I don't know where to go from there. Can I essentially make any transform I like?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Sources:
In my opinion, an excellent intuitive understanding of the change of variables stuff can be found in Marsden&Tromba "Vector Calculus" (Lots of editions..).
Instead of "burdening" the reader with rigorous proofs of the change-of-variables theorem, it has a clear focus on how to generate the "proper" area elements dA. (Lots of worked examples as well!)

If you want a more rigorous treatment, one book is Marsden "Introduction to Real Analysis"

2) Problem:
Note that your region is bounded by two pairs of parallell lines.
Try setting u=2x-y, v=3x+y, and see what you get.

arildno said:
2) Problem:
Note that your region is bounded by two pairs of parallell lines.
Try setting u=2x-y, v=3x+y, and see what you get.

Wow, thank you. You just pointed out a valuable thing to me. I think I "get" what I'm supposed to do for these problems now. Thank you. :biggrin:

Yes that is the way to go--- I just consider C o V as the "U-substitution" chapter but for Double Integrals. (Or even triple--- but i hate calculating 3x3 determinants!)

1. What is the purpose of using change of variables when solving double integrals?

The purpose of using change of variables is to simplify the integration process by transforming the double integral into a simpler form. This can make it easier to evaluate and can also lead to more efficient solutions.

2. How do you choose the appropriate change of variables for a given double integral?

The appropriate change of variables can be chosen based on the shape and symmetry of the region of integration. In general, it is helpful to choose a change of variables that will transform the region into a rectangle or a disk.

3. Can any change of variables be used for solving double integrals?

No, the change of variables must be a one-to-one and differentiable transformation. This ensures that the new variables are uniquely defined and that the Jacobian determinant can be easily calculated.

4. How do you calculate the Jacobian determinant for a given change of variables?

The Jacobian determinant can be calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the original variables, and then taking the determinant of the resulting matrix. This determinant will then be used as a factor in the new double integral.

5. Are there any limitations or special cases when using change of variables for double integrals?

Yes, in some cases the region of integration may not be easily transformed into a simpler shape using change of variables. Additionally, some transformations may result in a more complicated integral that cannot be easily evaluated. It is important to carefully consider the choice of change of variables for each specific problem.