Multivariable calculus problem

In summary, this conversation involves solving a multivariable calculus problem involving surface area. The problem asks to compute the surface area of the portion of a cone between two given planes. The first step is to find the area in the xy-plane by determining the equation of intersection between the cone and the plane. This leads to an ellipse, which can be expressed in parametric equations. The cone can also be expressed in terms of these parametric equations. To find the surface area, the "differential of surface area" is found by differentiating with respect to r and θ and taking the cross product. Finally, the surface area is found by integrating with r and θ within given limits.
born2chill
Multivariable calculus problem involving surface area

I am not sure where to start with this problem...Any help I receive would be greatly appreciated:

Compute the surface area of the portion of the cone x^2 + y^2 = z^2 which lies between the planes z=0 and x + 2z = 3.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a non-trivial problem. (I think I'll add it to my Calculus III test!)

The first thing I would do is determine the area in the xy-plane involved here: find the equation of intersection of the cone and project down to the xy-plane.

The plane is x+ 2z= 3 or z= 3/2+ x/2. Putting that into the equation of the cone, we come to the equation of an ellipse (that should be no surprise):
[tex]\frac{(x-1)^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{3}= 1[/tex]

Parametric equations for that ellipse are x= 2cos(θ)-1, y= √(3)sin(θ) and we can cover the entire (filled) ellipse by taking x= 2rcos(θ)- 1,
y= √(3)rsin(θ) with r running from 0 to 1, θ running from 0 to 2π.

The cone can be expressed in terms of r and &theta as
x= 2rcos(θ)- 1, y= √(3)rsin(θ),z= √(4r2cos2(θ)+ 3r2sin2(θ)) or, in terms of the "position vector" as X= (2rcos(θ)- 1)i+ √(3)rsin(θ)j+ √(4r2cos2(θ)+ 3r2sin2(θ))k.

To find the "differential of surface area" with respect to r and θ differentiate that with respect to each variable and find the cross product of those two vectors.
The differential of surface area is the length of that cross product time dr dθ

Integrate with r going from 0 to 1, &theta from 0 to 2π

To solve this problem, we can use the surface area formula for a parametric surface:

S = ∫∫ ||r_u x r_v|| dA

Where r(u,v) is the parametric representation of the cone's surface. In this case, we can use the parametrization:

x = u
y = v
z = √(u^2 + v^2)

Now, we need to find the bounds for u and v. Since the surface is bounded by the planes z=0 and x+2z=3, we can set z=0 and x+2z=3, and solve for u and v to get the bounds:

u = 0 to 3
v = -√(3-u^2) to √(3-u^2)

Next, we need to find the partial derivatives of r with respect to u and v:

r_u = <1, 0, u/√(u^2+v^2)>
r_v = <0, 1, v/√(u^2+v^2)>

Now, we can plug in these values into the surface area formula:

S = ∫∫ ||r_u x r_v|| dA
= ∫∫ √(1 + (u/√(u^2+v^2))^2 + (v/√(u^2+v^2))^2) dA
= ∫∫ √(1 + u^2/(u^2+v^2) + v^2/(u^2+v^2)) dA
= ∫∫ √(1 + 1) dA
= ∫∫ √2 dA

Now, we need to convert this double integral to polar coordinates since we are dealing with a cone. Using the standard polar coordinate conversion formulas, we get:

S = ∫∫ √2 r dr dθ
= √2 * ∫θ=0 to θ=2π ∫r=0 to r=√(3) r dr dθ
= √2 * ∫θ=0 to θ=2π (1/2)r^2 |r=0 to r=√(3)) dθ
= √2 * ∫θ=0 to θ=2π (

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of more than one variable. It involves the application of calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals to functions with multiple independent variables.

2. What are some common applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables, such as motion of objects in space, optimization of functions with multiple variables, and analysis of complex systems.

3. What are the main differences between single variable calculus and multivariable calculus?

In single variable calculus, only one independent variable is considered, while in multivariable calculus, there can be multiple independent variables. This leads to differences in concepts such as derivatives and integrals, as well as the types of problems that can be solved.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve multivariable calculus problems?

Some common techniques used in multivariable calculus include partial derivatives, double and triple integrals, gradient vectors, and vector calculus. These techniques allow for the analysis of functions with multiple variables and the solving of complex problems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of multivariable calculus?

To improve your understanding of multivariable calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and working through examples. It can also be helpful to review the fundamentals of single variable calculus, as many concepts build upon those learned in that subject. Seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems can also aid in improving your understanding.