Routine mantanence on one of the big mixers

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person doing routine maintenance on a big mixer and accidentally causing a bright flash and loud noise when they turned it on due to forgetting about the gas in the spray lube. They were able to patch up the cover and everything is now working fine. One person asks if the maintenance worker was wearing PPE, and they mention wearing ear protectors but still experiencing tinnitus. The worker also mentions that the gas can take up to 5 minutes to disperse, and another person jokes about their spicy chili recipe.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I did some routine mantanence on one of the big mixers to night, switched it on and Kaboom,
the top cover blew off with a bright flash, i forgot how much gas was in these spray lubes,
any way i patched the cover up and every thing works okay, so only you guys know.

Physics news on Phys.org

sssssshhhh! i'll never tell, woolie!:wink:

You wear PPE for this "routine" maintenance, right Woolie?

berkeman said:
You wear PPE for this "routine" maintenance, right Woolie?

I should wear ear protectors, i have a touch of tinitus now.

Your secrets safe with us. Glad you didn't get hurt, that must of been a startling noise, how high did you jump?

hypatia said:
Your secrets safe with us. Glad you didn't get hurt, that must of been a startling noise, how high did you jump?

I just froze for a few secs thinking What the heck happened, then remembered it can take 5 mins for gas to disperse.

wolram said:
then remembered it can take 5 mins for gas to disperse.

That's optimistic; with the chili recipe that I prefer, you're not safe for at least 2 days.

1. What is the purpose of routine maintenance on a big mixer?

Routine maintenance on a big mixer is necessary to ensure its optimal performance and longevity. It involves regularly checking and servicing various components of the mixer to prevent breakdowns and extend its lifespan.

2. How often should routine maintenance be performed on a big mixer?

The frequency of routine maintenance on a big mixer depends on its usage and the manufacturer's recommendations. Generally, it is recommended to perform maintenance checks at least once a month, with more thorough inspections and servicing every 3-6 months.

3. What are some common components that require routine maintenance on a big mixer?

Some common components that require routine maintenance on a big mixer include the motor, belts, bearings, gears, and seals. It is also essential to clean and lubricate these components to ensure smooth operation.

4. Can I perform routine maintenance on a big mixer myself?

It is recommended to have a professional perform routine maintenance on a big mixer to ensure it is done correctly and safely. However, some simple checks and tasks, such as cleaning and lubricating, can be done by the user with proper training and equipment.

5. What are the consequences of neglecting routine maintenance on a big mixer?

Neglecting routine maintenance on a big mixer can lead to various issues, such as decreased performance, increased energy consumption, and breakdowns. It can also result in costly repairs and downtime, affecting the productivity of the mixer and the overall process it is used for.