Expanding a formula

In summary, the conversation was about providing a summary of content and not responding or replying to questions. The expert is known for their ability to summarize information and they are only expected to provide a summary, without any additional information.
Pattielli
Can you tell me what the following formula will be after it gets expanded ?
[tex](1+x+x^2+...+x^n^-^2+x^n^-^1)^2 = ?[/tex]

Thanks a lot,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's written inside the parantheses is a geometric series. It's equal to (1 - x^(n - 1 + 1)) / (1 - x). Now just square it...

Thanks a lot,

1. How do I expand a formula?

To expand a formula, you need to use the distributive property. This means that you need to multiply each term in the parentheses by the term outside the parentheses and then combine like terms.

2. Why do we need to expand formulas?

Expanding formulas helps us simplify and solve complex algebraic expressions. It allows us to see the individual terms and coefficients in an equation, making it easier to manipulate and solve.

3. Can I expand any formula?

Yes, you can expand any formula that has parentheses. However, not all formulas require expansion. Sometimes, it is more efficient to leave the formula in its factored form.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when expanding formulas?

One common mistake when expanding formulas is to forget to distribute the negative sign to each term inside the parentheses. Another mistake is to combine like terms incorrectly, resulting in the wrong answer.

5. Are there any tips for expanding formulas more efficiently?

One tip is to start by multiplying the term outside the parentheses by each term inside, rather than trying to expand the whole expression all at once. You can also use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) for multiplying binomials. Practice and familiarity with algebraic rules can also help in expanding formulas efficiently.