Vapor Pressure Saturation in Air Collection: Estimating Water Vapor Mass

In summary: I really appreciate it!In summary, Dalton's law states that the total pressure is equal to the mole fractions of each species multiplied by the total pressure.
johnj7

Homework Statement

"Suppose you were to collect 1.0 L air by passing it slowly thorugh water at 20C and into a container. estimate the mass of water vapor in the collect air, assuming that the air is saturated."

I don't know where to even begin. at first i thought it had something to do with henry's law, but that didn't lead me anywhere

Homework Equations

Henrys Law
S=kH X P

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, I read the chapter on physical equilibria throughly, but I can't answer this question. All I need is the conceptual understanding as to how I would solve this problem. The only way I thought of doing this is
1. find the solubility of air in water (henry's constant given)
2. plug in the vapor pressure of water at 20C for P
3. Obtain solubility
4. then I have the solubility of air in water
5. that didn't get me anywhere

I couldn't think of anything else, conceptual guidance would be appreciated
the answer is I don't know where to even begin. at first i thought it had something to do with henry's law, but that didn't lead me anywhere

the answer is 0.017g
thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply Dalton's law of partial pressures to the vapor phase.

Thanks for the reply,
I thought about it, but still can't figure out how to do it... it shouldn't be that hard, its the first problem in the chapter!:frown:

so daltons law says that the total pressure is equal to the mole fractions of each species multiplied by the total pressure
ie
Ptot = X1P + X2P

I have that the vapor pressure of water at 20C is 17.54
what can I do now?

You've got volume, you've got pressure, you've got temperature. What do you know about ideal gases?

wow simple
i keep forgetting to always think about the ideal gas law
thank you so much

What is vapor pressure saturation?

Vapor pressure saturation is the point at which the vapor pressure of a liquid equals the external pressure surrounding it. This results in a balance between the rate of molecules leaving the liquid phase and the rate of molecules returning to the liquid phase.

How is vapor pressure saturation related to temperature?

Vapor pressure saturation is directly related to temperature. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of molecules increases, causing more molecules to escape from the liquid phase and reach the vapor phase. This results in a higher vapor pressure and a higher saturation point.

What is the significance of vapor pressure saturation?

Vapor pressure saturation is important in understanding the behavior of liquids and their evaporation rates. It is also important in processes such as distillation, where the saturation point can be manipulated to separate substances based on their vapor pressures.

How is vapor pressure saturation measured?

Vapor pressure saturation can be measured using a variety of methods, such as the use of a pressure gauge or a dew point hygrometer. These instruments measure the pressure or temperature at which the vapor pressure of a liquid reaches its saturation point.

What factors can affect vapor pressure saturation?

The main factors that can affect vapor pressure saturation are temperature, external pressure, and the properties of the substance itself. Other factors, such as the presence of impurities or changes in the surrounding environment, can also impact the saturation point of a liquid.