Solving problems using Half Angle identities

In summary, Half Angle identities are trigonometric equations used to simplify expressions and solve problems involving trigonometric functions. The formula for Half Angle identities includes sin, cos, and tan of x/2, where x is the original angle. They can be used to solve problems such as finding exact values, simplifying expressions, and solving equations. However, there are limitations to their use, as they can only be applied to acute angles and may not always provide the most accurate or practical solutions.
saychanh

Homework Statement

Solve for x using half-angle identities

cos (x/2) = -√2 / 2

Homework Equations

cos(x/2) = ± √(1+cosx)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to figure out what to do with the identity, but I have no idea how to start. I know that x = 270 degrees or 3pi/2, but I do not know how to get there. Can someone head me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cos2u= (1+ cos 2u)/2

Let u= x/2. Then [itex](1+ cos x)/2= (-\sqrt{2}/2)^2= 1/2[/itex] so 1+ cos(x)= 0, cos(x)= -1.

Thank you so much

What are Half Angle identities?

Half Angle identities are trigonometric equations that involve the half-angle of a given angle. They are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve problems involving trigonometric functions.

What is the formula for Half Angle identities?

The formula for Half Angle identities is:
sin(x/2) = ± √[(1-cosx)/2]
cos(x/2) = ± √[(1+cosx)/2]
tan(x/2) = ± √[(1-cosx)/(1+cosx)]
where x is the original angle.

How are Half Angle identities used to solve problems?

Half Angle identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve problems involving trigonometric functions. They can also be used to find the values of trigonometric functions at half angles, which can be helpful in solving certain types of problems.

What are some examples of problems that can be solved using Half Angle identities?

Some examples of problems that can be solved using Half Angle identities include finding the exact values of trigonometric functions, simplifying complex trigonometric expressions, and solving trigonometric equations.

Are there any limitations to using Half Angle identities?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Half Angle identities. They can only be used for certain types of angles (e.g. acute angles), and they may not always provide the most accurate or practical solutions for all types of problems.