Candyshop Odour: Investigating its Chemical Composition and Potential Hazards

• Thread starter misgfool
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a distinctive candyshop odour that the speaker has noticed during their cycling trips. They express concern about the chemicals that create this smell and whether they could be dangerous. The expert summarizer suggests that all chemicals can be dangerous and speculates that the smell could be from a specific type of candy or a psychological imprint. They also mention the possibility of scented candles being the source of the smell. The conversation ends with a discussion about the potential dangers of burning large quantities of sugar.
misgfool
I have noticed that distinctive candyshop odour in one part of my bicycling trips. Now as the saying goes "if something smells too good..." so I'm a little bit concerned. What is the chemical or chemicals that create that candyshop smell and can they be used for something dangerous?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
can be used for something dangerous? ?_?

First of all, all chemicals are dangerous, it's only a matter of dosage (look up LD50 and ED50).

And probably it's one or two sorts of candy that tickles your imagination. Maybe it's some biological or psychological imprint of a candyshop you visited as a child? Who knows, I am only speculating here.

But maybe some candy-chains have some distinct signature-flavour-odour to their shops to lure customers in there. I think that such scents could be very bad when produced, because synthesizing complex molecules like that and in abundance will require a great deal of energy and very complex rawmaterials.

The only dangerous I can think of visavi this candy-shop flavour (if my hypothesis holds) is that either the plant is inefficient or the chemical itself is very stable and lipophile etc.

You are probably smelling sugar. Yes, sugar in high enough quantities can be dangerous.

Fearless said:
And probably it's one or two sorts of candy that tickles your imagination. Maybe it's some biological or psychological imprint of a candyshop you visited as a child? Who knows, I am only speculating here.

They all have the same odour for me. But it is very unusual to notice it outdoors. Thing is that the odour is about 150 meters (~165 yards) from the nearest buildings, which may or may not be the source.

Fearless said:
But maybe some candy-chains have some distinct signature-flavour-odour to their shops to lure customers in there. I think that such scents could be very bad when produced, because synthesizing complex molecules like that and in abundance will require a great deal of energy and very complex rawmaterials.

Yes, but i was wondering if such chemicals were a byproduct of some other process.

HallsofIvy said:
You are probably smelling sugar. Yes, sugar in high enough quantities can be dangerous.

I think plain sugar wouldn't, but strongly heated might. So someone is burning high quantities of sugar on a daily basis? At least there shouldn't be any power utilities nearby. Are there any other possible industrial uses for sugar?

Your "candy store" smell could easily be emanating from a craft shop that makes scented candles. Those scents are very powerful and they persist in the air. There used to be a candle shop about a mile from where I worked, and I used to have to roll up my windows and shut off all ventilation until I got past it. On my motorcycle, I had to hold my breath for a few tenths of a mile to avoid having a medical emergency. It was bad.

turbo-1 said:
Your "candy store" smell could easily be emanating from a craft shop that makes scented candles. Those scents are very powerful and they persist in the air. There used to be a candle shop about a mile from where I worked, and I used to have to roll up my windows and shut off all ventilation until I got past it. On my motorcycle, I had to hold my breath for a few tenths of a mile to avoid having a medical emergency. It was bad.

This is possible. There are some candle shops there, but I don't know is there any manufacturing.

misgfool said:
This is possible. There are some candle shops there, but I don't know is there any manufacturing.
It's easy to mold candles (very low-tech), and it is often done in small batches, to vary the colors and odors.

1. What chemicals are typically found in candyshop odour?

The specific chemicals found in candyshop odour can vary, but common ones include vanillin, ethyl maltol, and benzaldehyde. These chemicals are responsible for the sweet, fruity, and nutty scents associated with candyshops.

2. Is candyshop odour harmful to human health?

In general, candyshop odour is not considered harmful to human health. However, some individuals may be sensitive to certain chemicals found in the odour and may experience symptoms such as headaches or nausea. It is important to properly ventilate candyshops to ensure the odour does not become too strong.

3. How can the chemical composition of candyshop odour be investigated?

One way to investigate the chemical composition of candyshop odour is through gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) analysis. This technique separates and identifies the different chemicals present in a sample of the odour.

4. Are there any potential hazards associated with candyshop odour?

While candyshop odour itself is not hazardous, the chemicals found in the odour may have potential hazards if they are inhaled in large quantities. For example, some chemicals may be irritants to the respiratory system. It is important to properly ventilate candyshops to prevent any potential hazards.

5. Can candyshop odour be harmful to the environment?

In general, candyshop odour is not considered harmful to the environment. However, if the odour is released in large quantities, it may contribute to air pollution. It is important for candyshops to properly manage and dispose of any chemicals used in creating the odour to minimize its impact on the environment.