Is TIME actually real? Is MOTION actually real?

In summary, time is a measurement system used to put events into a logical order. It is a way of quantifying the sequences of events that occur in the present. However, we can only perceive events in the present, which raises the question of whether time is a real concept or if it only exists in the human mind. This also raises questions about the existence of motion, as our perception of events is always in the present, but they have already occurred. Therefore, our understanding of time and motion may be limited by our human perspective, and may not accurately reflect reality.
DaleSpam said:
All you have done in this entire post is to add "rocks" to the "real" category and "two" to the "not real" category.

This is not a question of the merit of your idea, but of the content of your idea. You are using the english word "real" to express some idea that you have. But the way that you are using it is non-standard. So the rest of us are unable to evaluate the merit of your idea because fundamentally you have not yet communicated it.

No, the categorization is entirely yours, I only organized it. You came up with the categorization by applying some definition that you are either unable or unwilling to share. We cannot have a successful communication until you do.

Sorry, but until you clearly define your core concept there is no point in responding further. I have done all I can do from my end to help this conversation, the next step is up to you.

PS: This is counter-productive. If you want to get someone to realize something you should say it in the most succinct manner possible.

"...until you clearly define your core concept..."

Dude! Are you reading what I am writing?

Here is my attempt to provide the clearest explanation of Reality:

Concepts are not real. Reality just is.

There.

If that were true -- and I contend that is obviously true -- then your questions would clearly not make sense.

Here's why:

I am saying concepts aren't real, and you are saying you want me to define the concept of Reality.

"If you want to get someone to realize something you should say it in the most succinct manner possible."

So again you are doing the same thing -- you are saying I am not explaining my concept of Reality clearly.

But Reality is NON-CONCEPTUAL! Concepts are ONLY an extremely limited function within a human mind.

Reality just is. Reality can NOT be explained by using concepts.

I can almost anticipate what you are thinking, "Yes, but I don't understand that concept." Or, "But that concept doesn't make any sense to my mind." Right!

This is a paradox. It is (almost) the most fundamental paradox of human existence.

And like I said before, it IS possible for you to understand Reality without concepts. That is, YOU can perceive Reality directly.

If you say this doesn't make sense... then you are finally getting it. It does not make sense to your conceptual mind. Reality does not have concepts. The rocks just are, the mind ADDS IN the CONCEPT of "two", which is not there in Reality.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fredrik said:
I agree with you so far. (This is only a comment about the text I quoted. I haven't read all the previous posts in this thread).How? By not thinking? Why would we want to do that?

Aaaah! Good questions!

How? Very very very very long answer. Maybe we'll get to that sometime!

By not thinking? Why would we want to do that? Well, that too is a very long answer, but let me try to prompt you with a couple of questions.

You seem to be asking, "Why would we not want to think?" ... so let me ask you -- when, in your early life, when you were an infant or whatever, did you DECIDE to first start thinking? You didn't really think about thinking right? How could you... you weren't even thinking yet!

So really, the brain started doing its thing, and the "mind" (whatever that is) started having thoughts. Presumably all of your first thoughts were totally in response to some sort of stimuli, right? You don't have any opinions or beliefs when you are an infant, do you? So if someone accidentally poked you with a pin or something, your body and mind just did an animal reaction thing and pulled away, but in the mind there was presumably a thought, like, "Ouch, that hurts." And then shortly thereafter there was probably a thought about "I want to avoid that situation in the future" or something. Animal reactions. Avoidance of bad stuff, attraction to good stuff.

Then more complex things happened, and opinions began to be formed. Maybe something happened that the mind interpreted as "good" occurred when someone did something for you and they were wearing red, and later in life your favorite color is red, and you don't really even know why. Its just an opinion. Based on thoughts that just occurred. And as these thoughts get more and more complex in response to more and more stimuli, being interpreted by this ever increasingly complex database of memories and processing power and opinions, etc. So perhaps later in life they are so random and unpredictable that decisions aren't as simple as, "I don't want to be poked with a pin" they actually seem to be freely chosen, by a "will" or something. Are they?

So let's fast forward to this morning. When you woke up this morning, when did you decide to begin the whole thinking process?

Seriously. You seem to be asking why would a person not want to think.

But I am asking how you decide you DO want to think.

Do you? Do you decide in the morning to start thinking, or does it just happen?

You don't have to think about thinking, right? Does that even make sense? Then what happens? This starts getting strange!

But you don't think about thinking, you just think. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say, thoughts just occur in the mind.

Oh! You mean like an infant? When thoughts just occur in the mind in reaction to stimuli?

What is the first thought you have in the morning. Well, it depends, right? If you have a radio come on, you might start thinking about some news story. That is, an external stimulus caused certain thoughts to begin occurring in the mind. Did you CHOOSE to start thinking about those things?

If the hot body next to you starts doing stuff to your body, do you have to think about your reaction, or does the reaction just occur? Do the thoughts just occur, or do you have to think about starting to think those thoughts?

Who is thinking your thoughts. No really. That seems like a strange question, but it really isn't.

Do you think about your thoughts? But aren't those just more thoughts? But when did you think, "I should have my first thought for today?" You can't think about your first thought, because that IS your first thought! So where did that first thought come from? It just arose in the mind. Sometimes from an external stimulus, sometimes you just wake up and think, "I have to do this today." Right? Where did that thought come from? It just popped into your mind. And then you start thinking about that.

But you didn't choose the first thought, right? So what makes you think you chose the second thought -- the thought about that thought? And on and on it goes, until you are where you are right now, lost in a stream of thoughts.

Wait. What is the YOU that is lost in a stream of thoughts? Am I not my thoughts?

Wait. Are you your thoughts, or are you that which is thinking the thoughts, choosing the thoughts?

Wait. Or am I that which is aware of the thoughts that are being thought?

Again... I don't know how you can get out of this trap... you can't be the thoughts and also be thinking the thoughts. How do you choose to think thoughts about thoughts?

If you are your thoughts, then what is doing the choosing about which thoughts to think?

Here is a really simple test you can take for your self.

Do you think you control your thoughts? Then do it! Do this for yourself. Here is a test you can do for yourself so you can prove to yourself for yourself that you control your thoughts.

Just sit there quietly for the next 5 minutes, and have no thoughts at all. None. Zero. Zip. Nothing. Empty.

Try it.

I know the answer already. Do you? I tried it. You have to try it for yourself or you won't get it! But the answer is simple. Its not possible. Thoughts pop into your head. Important things you think you have to do arise in your mind. Or you might think, "This is dumb, why am I doing this." That's a thought!

I thought you said you could control your thoughts? Do it! You can't.

I double-dog dare you to try to convince me or anyone else for that matter that you can control your thoughts such that you can have no thoughts whatsoever for 5 minutes.

Fine, here's an even easier test.

For the next five minutes only think about ONE thing. It could be anything. But once you choose that one thing, do NOT think about anything else. At all. For five minutes. If you do it for a few seconds, but then find yourself thinking about that sound you just heard, then you failed and have to start over. I thought you said you can control your thoughts?

Here, I'll make it even easier for you. Take something that is really simple, and really fundamental, and is always available for you to think about, and think about that one thing. (If you choose something complex or emotionally charged, that will likely lead you to more complex thoughts. The point of this exercise is to just think about ONE thing. Because you have control over your thoughts, right?) So for example, take you Breathing. It is always there! It is so simple and so natural you don't even think about it usually, so it should be really easy to concentrate your thoughts on this one thing. Pick one small part of your breathing, like your belly moving in and out. Or the feel of the air moving in and out at the tip of your nostrils. Whatever. Simple, fundamental, always there. Easy to control those thoughts. :)

Take these tests for yourself. Prove to yourself that you have control over your thoughts.

WARNING: These tests are very dangerous. If you can NOT pass these tests, then your entire notion of reality will change fundamentally and forever. Can you see why?

Last edited:
NoVA101 said:

Reality just is. Reality can NOT be explained by using concepts.

Then that makes it pretty tough to have a conversation about it.