Exploring the Mystery of 1-Dimensional Strings in Physics

• Thread starter WaveJumper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a 1-dimensional string and how it relates to the idea of a zero-dimensional point particle. It also touches on the abstract nature of energy in physics and the concept of dimensions in string theory. The participants discuss the minimum size and length of a string, and how it can be thought of as a zero-dimensional object due to advanced mathematical theories. They also clarify that energy is not just a mathematical construct, but a real physical entity that can exist in different forms. The conversation concludes by mentioning that a string is not truly one-dimensional, but rather vibrates in multiple dimensions.
WaveJumper
My question is simple and straight forward - how does a 1-dimensional string "convert" to a zero-dimensional point particle?

And another one - for the purposes of physics, energy is not a physical object but an abstract mathematical construct. So how can a string of energy have a definite physical size(although it's the lowest tolerated by mathematical physics size - the Planck length)?

Oops, here's another one - How on Earth can a 1-dimensional string vibrate without employing a 2nd dimension? The drawings of this alleged physical object I've seen, all portray a 2-dimensional string(string is curved).

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you can't have a string in 1 dimension can you? i mean that would just be a line, you would need at least two dimensions to have a string, but what does this have to do with string theory, don't they state that there is 10 or 11 dimensions depending on if its super symmetry. forgive me if I am wrong but that's what I thought, I am sure someone will clarify.

You are missing a definition of dimension. Minimum length, minimum size.
see https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=513 [Broken]
jal

Last edited by a moderator:
a one dimensional string was thought of as a zero dimensional point particle because of how small it was, and the more advanced mathematics behind the theory of strings. And energy is not a mathematical construct, its a real thing. You can have pure energy. Energy and mass are the same thing, just different forms. And just like you can have an object that we see every day of mass, you can have a string of zero mass and pure energy, like a photon or a string of energy. Also a string isn't really a one dimensional object, its just pictured that way, when really it is an object that vibrates in 10+ dimensions.

1. What are 1-dimensional strings in physics?

1-dimensional strings are theoretical objects in physics that are believed to be the fundamental building blocks of the universe. They are thought to be tiny, vibrating strings that make up all particles and interactions in the universe.

2. How are 1-dimensional strings different from traditional particles?

1-dimensional strings are different from traditional particles in that they have length, whereas traditional particles are considered to be point-like. Additionally, strings vibrate at different frequencies, which give rise to the various properties and interactions of particles.

3. How do 1-dimensional strings contribute to the search for a theory of everything?

1-dimensional strings are a key component in string theory, which is a proposed theory of everything that aims to unify all fundamental forces and particles in the universe. By incorporating 1-dimensional strings, string theory attempts to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.

4. Can 1-dimensional strings be observed or measured?

No, 1-dimensional strings are currently purely theoretical and cannot be observed or measured directly. However, the predictions and implications of string theory can be tested through experiments and observations in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

5. What are some current challenges in exploring 1-dimensional strings in physics?

Some challenges in exploring 1-dimensional strings in physics include the lack of experimental evidence for string theory, the difficulty in making precise predictions due to the high number of possible string configurations, and the need for a more complete understanding of the mathematical framework of string theory.