Detecting wheel slip from DC motor on low friction surface

In summary: Here are my ideas:Sense current, watch for spikes/troughsmonitor wheel speed with optical encoder and compare to velocitylimit acceleration erithe best way (by best way I mean the cheapest, and simplest effective way) to detect slippage of the wheel. The surface is very low friction, somewhere in the range of 0.05 mu.If you unload the motor, I would think the current would decrease.What else could I use? Which of these would/wouldn't work?Thanks for your help.
Weird Fishes
I am trying to figure out what would be the best way (by best way I mean the cheapest, and simplest effective way) to detect slippage of the wheel. The surface is very low friction, somewhere in the range of 0.05 mu.

Here are my ideas:
  1. Sense current, watch for spikes/troughs
  2. monitor wheel speed with optical encoder and compare to velocity
  3. limit acceleration

I do have a question about the current draw solution: what would happen to the current draw if the wheel were to lose traction? Would that be an effective indicator at all. If it would work, that would be my preferred option.

What else could I use? Which of these would/wouldn't work?

Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
"what would happen to the current draw if the wheel were to lose traction?"
If you unload the motor, I would think the current would decrease.

dlgoff said:
"what would happen to the current draw if the wheel were to lose traction?"
If you unload the motor, I would think the current would decrease.

I suspected that as well, but I plan on doing some tests the next time I have a chance to work on this. Do you think the drop would be noticeable enough to use as a guideline?

I think so. You will probably get the same decrease when you slow down quickly however. So you will have to figure a way to determine the difference.

I think comparing it to the pwm signal should do the job. I'll post the results after the tests, which will hopefully get done this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Did you plan to use the electric motor to drive the wheel any way, or is the electric motor something you are adding purely to detect wheel slip? Your situation is not clear in this respect, and it does make a difference.

First?

Dr.D said:
Did you plan to use the electric motor to drive the wheel any way, or is the electric motor something you are adding purely to detect wheel slip? Your situation is not clear in this respect, and it does make a difference.
It is an electric drive train. The electric motors power drive wheels.

Integral said:
First?
robotics?... yeppers.

Weird Fishes said:
Here are my ideas:
  1. Sense current, watch for spikes/troughs
  2. monitor wheel speed with optical encoder and compare to velocity
  3. limit acceleration

#1 Probably not practical unless your surface is very uniform. Otherwise you'll see variations due to variations in the surface.

#2 The voltage to the motor is already roughly proportional to the speed. It seems like the optical encoder would be redundant. How are you determining velocity in order to compare the optical encoder to it? It might make more sense to use the optical encoder on an undriven wheel to compare to the speed of the driven wheel or is that what you were trying to say?

#3 Not a bad idea. The voltage across the DC motor is roughly proportional to the speed and the current is roughly proportional to the torque (They're very close if you take the losses of the motor into consideration). If you limit the current to the motor and thus the torque, slipping should be less of a problem. (I once had a car that had a button on the shifter (automatic transmission) that would keep the transmission out of first gear in order to make starting on ice easier)

skeptic2 said:
#1 Probably not practical unless your surface is very uniform. Otherwise you'll see variations due to variations in the surface.

#2 The voltage to the motor is already roughly proportional to the speed. It seems like the optical encoder would be redundant. How are you determining velocity in order to compare the optical encoder to it? It might make more sense to use the optical encoder on an undriven wheel to compare to the speed of the driven wheel or is that what you were trying to say?

#3 Not a bad idea. The voltage across the DC motor is roughly proportional to the speed and the current is roughly proportional to the torque (They're very close if you take the losses of the motor into consideration). If you limit the current to the motor and thus the torque, slipping should be less of a problem. (I once had a car that had a button on the shifter (automatic transmission) that would keep the transmission out of first gear in order to make starting on ice easier)
1: The surface is very uniform, otherwise I wouldn't have considered it either.
2: Encoder to determine wheel speed. Accelerometer to back calculate velocity (or possibly just use the acceleration). I have considered your suggestion as well, but don't have room for the undriven wheel.
3: Yes, that could be a better use of a current sensor.

I am also working on this problem. See the big picture http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc/content.aspx?id=418" (watch the center clip on the right for a description of the game.

There are some rotary encoders in the kit of parts so we should be able to get good info on wheel speed. Also there is an accelerometer and a gyro which should be able to track the exact speed and orientation of the bot.

I am hoping to set a max ramp rate on the wheel speed. We just need to find the max acceleration possible without slip. And do some labview work.

I was dreaming of four wheel drive and steering but the limitation on the number and type of allowed motors is making this is impossible.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral said:
I am also working on this problem. See the big picture http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc/content.aspx?id=418" (watch the center clip on the right for a description of the game.

There are some rotary encoders in the kit of parts so we should be able to get good info on wheel speed. Also there is an accelerometer and a gyro which should be able to track the exact speed and orientation of the bot.

I am hoping to set a max ramp rate on the wheel speed. We just need to find the max acceleration possible without slip. And do some labview work.

I was dreaming of four wheel drive and steering but the limitation on the number and type of allowed motors is making this is impossible.

Good luck

Yes, the motor limit is ruining many of my plans as well.

Good luck to you as well, what team/regional(s)?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you detect wheel slip from a DC motor on a low friction surface?

To detect wheel slip from a DC motor on a low friction surface, you can use a variety of methods such as measuring motor current, motor speed, or using sensors placed on the wheels. These methods can detect changes in the motor's behavior that indicate wheel slip.

2. What are the common causes of wheel slip on a low friction surface?

There are several common causes of wheel slip on a low friction surface, including insufficient traction between the wheels and the surface, uneven weight distribution, and improper tire inflation. Other factors such as weather conditions and surface texture can also contribute to wheel slip.

3. How can wheel slip affect the performance of a vehicle?

Wheel slip can significantly affect the performance of a vehicle, especially in terms of acceleration, braking, and handling. It can also cause uneven wear on tires and decrease fuel efficiency. Additionally, wheel slip can increase the risk of accidents, particularly on slippery roads.

4. What are the potential solutions to reduce wheel slip on a low friction surface?

There are several potential solutions to reduce wheel slip on a low friction surface, including using tires with better traction, adjusting the weight distribution of the vehicle, and using specialized traction control systems. Additionally, maintaining proper tire pressure and avoiding harsh driving maneuvers can also help reduce wheel slip.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with detecting wheel slip from a DC motor on a low friction surface?

While detecting wheel slip from a DC motor on a low friction surface can provide valuable information for improving vehicle performance, there are some safety concerns to consider. This includes the possibility of false readings or inaccurate data, which can lead to incorrect adjustments and potentially increase the risk of accidents. Therefore, it is essential to carefully evaluate and validate the data before making any changes to the vehicle's operation.