Mesh my data with latitude and longitude

In summary, to put your data on a map with coastline in MATLAB, you will need to use the Mapping Toolbox and functions such as geoshow and shaperead to plot your data and add in coastline data.
mapleca
I want to put my data on a map with coastline but I don't know how to do it.

my data has a value on each (lat, lon). I can draw the figure by surf command and indicate it's coordinate by using meshgrid. I want this figure contains coastline so I used hold on to keep the original figure and then draw a coastline by gshhs command onto this diagram.

But this doesn't work. all I've got is a single vertical line in the figure. Anyone has an idea how to improve?

Thanks a lot in advance.

forgot to say, I'm doing all these on matlab

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to create a map with coastline is to use the Mapping Toolbox in MATLAB. You can use the geoshow function to plot your data over a map of the world. You can also add in coastline data using the shaperead function, as well as other features such as rivers, lakes, or political boundaries. You can find examples of how to do this in the MATLAB documentation.

One way to accomplish this would be to use a mapping toolbox in Matlab. This will allow you to plot your data on a map with coastline using latitude and longitude coordinates. First, you will need to download and install the mapping toolbox if you haven't already. Then, you can use the geoshow function to plot your data on a map with coastline. You will need to specify the type of map projection you want to use, such as 'mercator' or 'lambert'. You can also use the coastline function to add coastline data to your map. This function will automatically download and add the coastline data to your map. You can then use the hold on command to add your data on top of the map. Additionally, you may need to adjust the axes limits to ensure that all of your data is visible on the map. I hope this helps!

1. What is the purpose of "Meshing" data with latitude and longitude?

Meshing data with latitude and longitude allows for the visualization of data on a map, providing a spatial context to the data and allowing for further analysis and insights.

2. How does "Meshing" data with latitude and longitude work?

Meshing data with latitude and longitude involves combining a dataset with geographical coordinates, typically in the form of latitude and longitude values, to create a geo-referenced dataset that can be plotted on a map.

3. Can any type of data be "Meshed" with latitude and longitude?

Yes, any type of data that has a location component, such as addresses or coordinates, can be meshed with latitude and longitude to create a spatially-referenced dataset.

4. What are some common applications of "Meshing" data with latitude and longitude?

Some common applications of meshing data with latitude and longitude include analyzing and visualizing customer or population data, tracking the spread of diseases or natural disasters, and identifying patterns and trends in location-based data.

5. Are there any tools or software specifically designed for "Meshing" data with latitude and longitude?

Yes, there are many tools and software available for meshing data with latitude and longitude, such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software, mapping platforms like Google Maps or ArcGIS, and specialized data visualization tools.