Solving the 3D Schrödinger Equation using Fourier Integral Transform

• Thread starter sahar1978
  • Start date
In summary, Sahar is seeking help to explain and solve an equation using the Fourier integral transform. The equation is the 3D Schrödinger equation with initial and boundary conditions given. They request the use of LaTeX or a screenshot in order to receive quicker help.
sahar1978

Homework Statement

please if anyone can help me to explain and solve the enclosed equation

Attachments

• How can we solve by using the Fourier integral transform.doc
    17.5 KB · Views: 177
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sahar.

Can you please use the [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] capabilities of the forum, or make a screenshot and put it on a site like imageshack?
First of all your attachment is not visible until it is approved, second of all I don't like to open virus-sensitive files like .doc, and finally I don't have M$ Word on my computer.
So if you would switch to one of those options, you can expect much quicker help.

Here is her question:

How can we solve by using the Fourier integral transform
The 3D Schrödinger equation which given by the form

[tex]\frac{\partial \psi (x,t)}{\partial t}= \frac{i\eta}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

with the following initial and boundary conditions :

[tex]\psi (x,0) = \psi_{\circ} (x)[/tex]

[tex]\psi (x,t) \rightarrow 0[/tex] as [tex]\left|x \right| \rightarrow \infty[/tex], t>0

1. What is the first step in solving an equation?

The first step in solving an equation is to simplify both sides as much as possible by combining like terms and using inverse operations to get the variable by itself on one side of the equation.

2. How do I know if my answer is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can plug it back into the original equation and see if it makes both sides of the equation equal. Another method is to graph the equation and see if the solution is the point where the line crosses the x-axis.

3. Can I use any operation I want to solve an equation?

No, when solving an equation, it is important to use inverse operations. For example, if the equation has addition, you should use subtraction to undo it. If the equation has multiplication, you should use division to undo it.

4. What happens if there are variables on both sides of the equation?

When there are variables on both sides of the equation, you should try to get all the variables on one side and all the numbers on the other side. This can be done by using inverse operations and simplifying each side.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should solve an equation?

Yes, when solving an equation, you should follow the order of operations, also known as PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). This ensures that the equation is solved correctly and the answer is accurate.