Calculating End Reactions: How to Sum Moments of All Forces About a Point

In summary: Hi,Can you be more specific,excuse my ignorance but this is the first time I have encountered this kind of problem.Can you show me an example? Thanks...MarkIn summary, you are trying to calculate the end reactions for a beam with a 2 m arm and a 70 kN force. You forgot to multiply the total force from the distributed load by the lever arm distance from the cg of the distributed load to the point in question. Always check your results for force equilibrium (sum of all forces in vertical direction = 0 ).
manich43
Hi,I am trying to calculate the end reactions for the beam shown in the diagram attached.

I have got this far but know I am going wrong somewhere.

To check ,RA + RB should equal the total load,point and UDL so I am told.

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Many Thanks...Mark

Attachments

• 17-03-2009 16-45-44_0001.jpg
    17-03-2009 16-45-44_0001.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 428
  • Top.bmp
    86 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
First check your units for moment; A 70 kN force with a 2 m perpendicular moment arm produces a moment of 140 kN-m.

Your calculation for the moment from the distributed load is wrong...you forgot to multiply the total force from that distributed load by the lever arm distance from its cg to the point in question. Always check your results for force equilibrium (sum of all forces in vertical direction = 0 ).

Hi,Can you be more specific,excuse my ignorance but this is the first time I have encountered this kind of problem.Can you show me an example?

Thanks...Mark

manich43 said:
Hi,Can you be more specific,excuse my ignorance but this is the first time I have encountered this kind of problem.Can you show me an example?

Thanks...Mark
When, in deteremining end reactions, you sum moments of all forces about any point of an object in equilibrium, the moments must sum to zero, paying careful attention to cw and ccw moments (plus and minus signs).
A moment of a force is the force times the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the point. When the force is uniformly distributed (w=kN/m), you must first get the total resultant force from that distributed load ( w times the length over which it is distributed, which you have done), and then apply that force at the center of gravity of the distributed load (its midpoint for a uniformly distributed load) and then determine the moment from that resultant of the distributed load.

What is a moment about a point?

A moment about a point is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object about a specific point. It is calculated by multiplying the force by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force.

What is the difference between a moment and a force?

A force is a push or pull that acts on an object, while a moment is a rotational force that acts on an object about a specific point. A force can produce linear motion, while a moment produces rotational motion.

How is a moment about a point calculated?

To calculate a moment about a point, you need to multiply the force vector by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force. This can be represented mathematically as M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

What is the unit of measurement for moments about a point?

The unit of measurement for moments about a point is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system, or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the Imperial system. These units represent the product of the force in Newtons or pounds and the distance in meters or feet, respectively.

How are moments about a point used in engineering and physics?

Moments about a point are used in engineering and physics to analyze and design structures and machines. They are also used in calculations involving rotational motion, such as torque and angular momentum. Moments about a point are essential in understanding the stability and equilibrium of objects and systems.