Rearranging to make x the subject so i can solve

• Thread starter toodey
  • Start date
In summary, rearranging an equation to make x the subject involves isolating x on one side of the equation by using inverse operations and solving for x. This can be done even if the equation contains multiple variables, by keeping track of which terms contain x. The purpose of rearranging an equation is to solve for the value of x and simplify complex equations. Some tips for rearranging equations include starting with the x terms, using the distributive property, and visualizing the steps needed. Even if the equation contains fractions, it can still be rearranged by eliminating fractions and following the same steps.
toodey
Square root over all in brackets (x+2)/(x-2)=1/2

NEED HELP WITH MY REARRANGING, THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
Clear the fractions; multiply left and right hand sides of the equation by 2(x-2).

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with rearranging the equation to solve for x. First, let's start by isolating the square root term on one side of the equation. We can do this by multiplying both sides by the denominator of the fraction, which in this case is (x-2).

(x-2) * square root((x+2)/(x-2)) = (x-2) * 1/2

Next, we can simplify the left side by canceling out the (x-2) terms, leaving us with just the square root of (x+2).

square root(x+2) = (x-2)/2

To get rid of the square root, we need to square both sides of the equation.

(square root(x+2))^2 = ((x-2)/2)^2

This gives us:

x+2 = (x-2)^2/4

Now, we can expand the right side by multiplying (x-2)^2, which gives us:

x+2 = (x^2-4x+4)/4

To simplify the right side, we can divide each term by 4.

x+2 = (x^2-4x+4)/4
x+2 = (x^2/4)-(4x/4)+(4/4)
x+2 = (x^2/4)-x+1

Finally, we can move all terms to one side and set it equal to 0.

x^2/4-x+1-2 = 0
x^2/4-x-1 = 0

Now, we can solve for x using the quadratic formula or by factoring. I'll use the quadratic formula in this case.

x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a

Plugging in our values for a, b, and c, we get:

x = (-(-1) ± √((-1)^2 - 4(1)(-1))) / 2(1)
x = (1 ± √(1+4)) / 2
x = (1 ± √5) / 2

Therefore, the two possible solutions for x are:

x = (1+√5)/2 or x = (1-√5)/2

I hope this helps you in solving the equation and finding

1. How do I rearrange an equation to make x the subject?

Rearranging an equation to make x the subject involves isolating x on one side of the equation. Start by using inverse operations to move all other terms to the other side of the equation. Then, simplify and solve for x to get your final answer.

2. Can I rearrange an equation to make x the subject if it contains multiple variables?

Yes, you can still rearrange an equation to make x the subject even if it contains multiple variables. Follow the same steps as you would for a single-variable equation, but be sure to keep track of which terms contain x and which do not.

3. What is the purpose of rearranging an equation to make x the subject?

Rearranging an equation to make x the subject allows you to solve for the value of x, which can be useful in solving problems involving unknown quantities. It also helps to simplify complex equations and make them easier to understand.

4. Are there any tips for rearranging equations to make x the subject?

Some helpful tips for rearranging equations include starting with the terms containing x, using the distributive property when necessary, and combining like terms. It may also be helpful to work backwards from the desired outcome and visualize the steps needed to get there.

5. Can I rearrange an equation to make x the subject if it contains fractions?

Yes, you can still rearrange an equation to make x the subject if it contains fractions. To do so, eliminate fractions by multiplying both sides of the equation by the lowest common denominator. Then, proceed with the same steps as you would for any other equation.