Internet access via transmission lines?

In summary, people can get internet access through their power lines by using a system called broadband over power lines. This system is very noisy and not very reliable.
Starwatcher16
How can people get internet access through their power lines? Wouldn't all the transformers act as low pass filters and destroy your carrier signal? Also, with things being turned on and off constently, wouldn't it be too noisy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know this is only done in the power lines in your house. You can superpose you information (internet or what every) onto the 50/60Hz sin wave of mains supply. This can then be taken out again at the other end. The concept is the same as amplitude modulated radio waves, where the information is superposed onto a higher frequency carrier. I would imagine the electronics to do this would be a lot more complex though.

A friend of mine living in Geneva Switzerland subscribed to a music station that was modulated on the power lines I think at about 100 kHz. His antenna was the power cord. At one time I was able to turn lights on and off in my neighbor's house 300 meters away with a special plug-in switch controller.

I think what madmike and Bob S are referring to is the carrier current method. It can be used for broadcasting or sending digital information over power lines. The same principle is used for the X10 home automation system. And yes, transformers will greatly attenuate these signals. However, a bypass can be installed on the transformer to allow the signals to pass.

The system used for internet service is called broadband over power lines (BPL). I don't think noise interfering with the broadband signal is the major cause for concern with this type of system. It's usually the other way around. These systems are sending broadband HF signals over power lines which are not designed to be used in this way. Losses are so great that amplifiers must be installed every 100 to 1000 meters. As a result, there can be leakage of RF signals which can cause interference to radio receivers. This can affect emergency mobile communications and the amateur radio service, or any nearby radio receiver. It's my personal opinion that BPL is a very bad idea. I think there's a lot of money involved and that's what's driving the whole thing. Even the FCC caved in and tried to push this along while trying to hide evidence of how poorly the system works.

1. How does internet access via transmission lines work?

Internet access via transmission lines is a method of connecting to the internet using physical cables, such as fiber optic or copper wires. These cables are able to transmit data at high speeds, allowing for fast and reliable internet access. The data is typically transmitted through a series of interconnected networks, such as local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs), until it reaches its destination.

2. What are the advantages of using transmission lines for internet access?

There are several advantages to using transmission lines for internet access. Firstly, they offer high speeds and reliable connections, which are important for activities such as streaming, gaming, and video conferencing. Additionally, transmission lines are not affected by weather or other external factors, unlike wireless connections. They also have the ability to handle large amounts of data, making them ideal for businesses and organizations.

3. Are there different types of transmission lines used for internet access?

Yes, there are different types of transmission lines used for internet access. Some of the most common types include fiber optic cables, coaxial cables, and twisted pair cables. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the type used will depend on factors such as location, budget, and data speed requirements.

4. What factors can affect the performance of internet access via transmission lines?

There are a few factors that can affect the performance of internet access via transmission lines. These include the quality and condition of the cables, the distance between the user and the internet service provider's equipment, and the number of users sharing the same connection. Environmental factors, such as interference from other electronic devices, can also impact performance.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with my internet access via transmission lines?

If you are experiencing issues with your internet access via transmission lines, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. Firstly, check all cables and connections to ensure they are secure and undamaged. You can also try restarting your modem or router, and running a speed test to check the data speed. If the issue persists, contact your internet service provider for further assistance.